Hello,

Thanks for the FAQ on hiding IPs.

I now know that I have to get a shell account somewhere, which will probably be a Unix server, in order to get to IRC through the shell account, instead of me connecting directly with my PC to an IRC network.

In addition to having a problem choosing among dozens upon dozens of ads for shell accounts, and most sites explaining things for themselves or people who already know what to do and how to do it, would it be possible for me to keep on using mIRC in combination with a shell account to get to an IRC network?

Or would I have to telnet to the Unix server, log in to the shell account and use a Unix program installed on the server to get to IRC, losing in that way all functionality of mIRC?

My goal here is to be able to connect to a network that doesn't provide a +x mode or any other way of hiding a user's IP but if possible to do it using mIRC on my PC and not having to use any other programs.

Something equivalent to just setting a proxy in mIRC and keep on using it. Could something like this work with shell accounts?

My reasons are identity protection. A permanent 24/7 visitor of a specific channel in a specific IRC network that I visit owns a website that I also surf to and he can easily cross reference IPs of the IRC channel visitors and his website visitors, which I would like to avoid to do this for my visits if at all possible.

If this is possible and I can still use mIRC then I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me so. If you also know of any reputable sites with dependable shell accounts service I hope you can recommend them here and it's not against any rules, or PM them to me if you'd like.

Thank you very much for your help.