Quote:
I know that. I bet you assume I didn't know that because I requested for $noop() to be unoverridable.

Actually I was assuming you were capable of taking a hint. The hint being that $null() doesn't exist, but $noop() would and hence wouldn't be overridable.

Turns out I was wrong, since you needed the two replies from Sat that spelt it out before you caught on.

I was replying to your arrogant and inaccurate response to the polite and correct point made by FaiNT (who you'll note said $null not $null()).

Quote:
Why is backwards compatibility a factor here? /noop has only been introduced with the last version.

The only reason you think /noop should be non-overridable is because some scripts come with a /noop alias. If mIRC made /noop non-overridable then those scripts would cease to work (assuming that their /noop alias did something). If the script's /noop alias did nothing then there is no problem in the first place.

Of course, madewokherd already said exactly the same thing.

Quote:
Besides, it's not like mIRC hasn't ever broken scripts due to changes, remember $null's behaviour changing in an older version, which broke a lot of scripts.

It has done it before, but you don't need to look far in versions.txt to find a number of places where depreciated features have been left in for the sake of compatability.