Quote:

But i just dont see the purpose, you can simply pass all needed values using $1- either by value if they arent to long or by refrence passing in the correct $x the name of a variable that contains the parameter which is good for single parameters that may have spaces in like filenames, (i do this in normal alias calls if i have too as well)

I forgot about this thread but i was going over the threads and i saw your post

the purpose of such a feature is to allow signals to store more metadata in their code and be easier to read. More importantly, It ALSO allows a specific signal to serve ONLY ONE purpose rather than any arbitrary one.

For instance, if i wanted a SIGNAL event to use the globalized $nick identifier ONLY if it exists, otherwise the event should exit. This means I am limiting my SIGNAL to being called from events with the $nick identifier supplied. Using $1- _might_ work, but then a user or a script could manually /signal SIG test, which is not wanted. The ability to use $nick in a situation like this guarantees the validity of the data being passed to the signal/alias.

It basically makes code clearer and sometimes avoids the need to error check .. in SIGNAL events.. that's why it's useful

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"