Yea, no worries, I wonder if I sounded rude in my posts, because I was seriously pissed off for a number of reasons yesterday.

Anyway, I hate when people put contradictions in their description: you're right about that searching the whole file based on the quote you showed, though his last line in his initial post was:

the word is set as a %var on text in a channel.. set %var $1, and should only be triggered if the %var is the first word in the file..

So I was like: wtf, what is it now, first word in the file or wherever in the file?

These are some interesting results, I find it so unfortunate that there is no documentation on mIRC's underlying mechanics. It's striking that doing $fline on a hidden window, which is stored in memory, is slower than a $read with w switch on a file cached in memory. I'm no programmer of course, so hard to say, but imo there isn't really a distinct difference between a cached file, and a hidden window with the same contents. They both have the same structure, unlike a hash table which uses hashing. "Scratches head".

I am going to read up on this file caching, it's an interesting thing that I didn't know. I am very curious why the basic accessing of a file vs hidden win (what I benched) gives such bad results.

Also would like to know what kind of search methods mIRC uses for $read with w switch, versus $fline. Perhaps the coding for $fline isn't entirely optimized in mIRC's internals...who knows.

Anyway, meet you in another thread Dave, bye.

Gone.