Print Thread
#213406 26/06/09 05:54 PM
A
athlom Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
A
Okay so about 2 days ago, my virus & spy protection software alerted me that they detected mIRC as riskware (after using it without incident for more than 200 days). Not realizing the alert was regarding mIRC I decided to quarantine the file. After doing so I've tried to reopen IRC to no luck, then tried to restore the file to it's previous status. Still to no avail. After that I decided to uninstall the program in it's entirety and do a full reinstall.

Now it's saying this on a 'fresh install':
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them."
It's also still detecting the program as riskware.

I would really appreciate any help that gets me back on IRC in a timely manner.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This indicates that the anti-virus software you are using has made a mistake and thinks that the mIRC files have a virus/trojan when they don't; this is called a false-positive and is quite common - it usually happens after an anti-virus company updates it's virus definition files without checking them properly. You would need to email the anti-virus company to report the problem and to ask them for help with getting around the issue.

A
athlom Offline OP
OP Offline
A
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/backdoor_w32_zapchast.shtml

It's not so much they've passed an update that screwed with something, apparently mIRC can be used as a backdoor for maleware. Click the link above and read about it, I don't think this is a problem I should be contacting my anti-virus over, but if you cold check it out let me know because I'm not a 100% sure. You could be right about going to them, it's just a really lengthy solution to such a minuscule problem.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Any software can be used for malware, from your email software to your web browser. The purpose of anti-virus software is to recognize which software on your computer has been modified in such a way as to make it malware and it does this by monitoring malware distributions around the world and creating signature files that it uses to recognize the malware.

However, when an anti-virus company does not test its signature files well enough, it starts detecting all kinds of software as malware that isn't actually malware. This is called a false-positive detection and results in the anti-virus software deleting perfectly good files on your computer without you being aware of it.

Note that even if you disable your anti-virus or firewall, most anti-virus or firewall software will continue to work in the background and will continue to block applications.

In this particular case, it looks like F-Secure has chosen to blindly mark "mIRC" as malware without actually checking to see whether it has been modified or has other detectable malware files with it.

This issue is definitely a mistake on the part of your anti-virus software and indicates a lack of care and diligence on their part (for a good example, see this story) and the only solution is to contact them to complain.

Alternatively, you could switch to Eset NOD32, which is my personal choice of anti-virus software. It has one of the lowest false-positive rates combined with one of the highest valid detection rates of any anti-virus software and I would highly recommend it.

Link Copied to Clipboard