mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
todds Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
It would be a lot smoother process for using multi-server support if you could set up profiles with different nicks and settings for each (and a "default"), perhaps even profile based/local and global scripting and such. The other thing is mIRC should be able to open multiple servers at start to connect to without having to write a script, basically an extension of the existing feature "Connect on start up" that connects to the last connected to server. Instead you should be able to choose what networks to connect to at start up and keep a status window for each. This type a design makes a lot more sense than the current one. wink

T
todds Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The other major change needs to be keeping spaces in input and strings - ya I think the whole mIRC scripting system should be updated, it's a great simple and easy scripting language with a lot of limitations, I don't think in this day and age functionality has to be sacrificed in a scripting language for ease of use; see PHP. Mainly handling of strings and variables needs to be updated for length and being able to get the string as it is without changing characters or stripping spaces. Stuff like that. I like the idea of "quoting" things and being precise and definitive with things. smile

I am a paying user and have been using mIRC for 10 years now, these changes should be right up there with IPv6, proper full UTF-8 support, and 64-bit edition.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
This can be achieved by starting a new instance of mIRC with different configuration files (using the "-i" option).

Note that I said a new instance - mIRC only needs to be installed once, but can be run many times (concurrently).

You can designate different scripting files, server options, nicks, etc etc etc by this method.

The trade-off is having a different application window for each configuration (mine is by nick, you might choose a different way to organise).

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
T
todds Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm already aware there are ways to mimic this functionality, but all of it requires work on the users end to implement, and even then there are often problems. Come on, multi-threading isn't that difficult to do, it would make mIRC a lot more fucntional and robus.

I myself use the following to do the multi-server start up stuff: /server -m server -i nick1 nick1 ....

And I have an ON START SCRIPT and on connect commands entered for each network.

Also, mIRC already has basic or functionality that is leading to my suggestion, it shouldn't be hard to get this done fully. Maybe this might break some things, I think mIRC is time for a major revision myself anyway. Functionality has lingered for a long time.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
todds, I am not sure you picked up the meaning of my post.

Quote:
Command Line
Command line switches allow you to change the behaviour of mIRC when it is first run. The switches can be used by creating a Windows Shortcut to the mIRC executable and appending the switches to the target filename, eg.:

[...]
-i<filename.ini>

Makes mIRC use the specified file in place of mirc.ini.

[...]

Setting up individual profiles always requires some initial work - but now I have my windows shortcuts that i can use anytime to get to the profile that I want.

I can even load common scripts between the two profiles!

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
T
todds Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm awae but running multiple instances isn't really something I want to do. Can it be launched with a single click? Maybe if you wanna write a batch file or something. Manageable with a GUI? Maybe if you code something yourself.

Then each instance takes up how much taskbar space? Extra RAM? Desktop space for shortcuts/etc?

No I understood fully, I just wasn't interested in doing that myself. I agree though that it's a work around until mIRC gets redesigned.

Another good idea, based on current features available in mIRC, is to fully save sessions and reload them when restarted. For example, restore every server, with nicks used, channels text reloaded (like log files), rejoin all channels, etc. So then everything can be dynamic rather than adding channel names to scripts and such. wink

Last edited by todds; 24/10/09 11:31 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard