mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
Hi,

Long time user here and would like 2 things for mIRC that might improve usability. I use an addon script (nnscript) that enhances mIRC a lot for multiple networks, etc, but it doesnt do everything. For being on a lot of networks with a lot of channels, it would be nice if the join on connect and minimize on join had a blanket option so you could set it to just join on connect and/or minimize on join for every chan.

Additionally with the script it allows 'themes' for mIRC which basically pull from mIRC's one color table. The issues that arise from this is when channel bots post messages or people post a message in a specific color. Many times with certain themes the color will become unreadable if its the same color, or it will be colors that look wierd or don't make sense for the purpose of the bot, ie) pickup games that use a bot which post colored teams. I can modify the table to change this but then that will affect other things as well, such as the user list color, among other things. One such solution would have two separate color tables, one in which themes can pull from and one that remains normal mIRC (default), which would allow all incoming messages to appear their normal color, or allow the incoming message color to be modified apart from the theme that changes everything else. I had a long discussion about this with some scripters and basically it is only changeable if mIRC itself changes, ala allow pulling from two different color tables.

-Nick

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You can already join channels automatically on connect-- there are many ways you can do this. Probably the most intuitive way is to add the channel to your Favorites (Alt+J) and check the [x] Join on connect box. There is also a [x] Minimize on join box for you too.

I'm not sure what you mean for "join on connect for every chan"-- every channel you're currently on? This sounds like a feature best tackled by a script. You can use the following 3 line snippet to remember channels you were connected to and rejoin them when mIRC restarts (the -n switch on line 1 joins the channels minimized):

Code:
on *:CONNECT:var %c = $readini(channels.ini,channels,$network) | if (%c) join -n %c
on ME:*:JOIN:#:writeini channels.ini channels $network $addtok($readini(channels.ini,channels,$network),#,44)
on ME:*:PART:#:var %c = $remtok($readini(channels.ini,channels,$network),#,0,44) | $iif(%c,writeini,remini) channels.ini channels $network %c

As for the colours, this is a good idea. It was suggested here and probably a few times before.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
T
I agree with flowrush.

I use a similar feature in Firefox all the time and it is a huge improvement to the user experience.

If you aren't doing this in Firefox yet, check it out: Tools -> Options -> Main -> When Firefox starts: Show my windows and tabs from last time

Sometimes you just have to interrupt what you're doing and reboot - being able to restart mIRC with everything exactly as it was beforehand (servers, channels, nicks, window order) is something that all users could benefit from.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
As I pointed out, you can do this with the simple three line script above (a few more to support query windows)

I assume if the Firefox behaviour was available as an add-on, nobody would bat an eyelash-- similarly, there shouldn't be a problem with having this behaviour as a script.

Of course, "remember my channels" wasn't the feature the OP was suggesting, so it's not the same issue.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Regarding the colours problem, an intermediary solution could be to use the -k switch in the /ignore command.

While it's not ideal, it does handle the problem.

F
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Regarding the colours problem, an intermediary solution could be to use the -k switch in the /ignore command.

While it's not ideal, it does handle the problem.

SO you're saying it would make the area outlined in my example below adhere to the default color's while still keeping my current theme applied to everything else? Because that's exactly what I'm getting at.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Correct.

Just noticed that you're display indicates that you are using NNScript (aka No Name Script), and scripts like this have been known to have some of the normal IRC commands aliased to specifics for that script.

Thus, if you find
Code:
/ignore -k <nick>
isn't working, then try
Code:
/!ignore -k <nick>
. The ! will force mIRC to use the command rather than the alias.

Last edited by RusselB; 01/04/09 06:50 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard