mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#177812 31/05/07 06:46 PM
H
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
H
I was wondering if it is illegal to create a cusom mIRC for my network, and put it on my website.
Is is against the copyright? Can I ommit the installer and just include mirc.exe in a zipfile?

HafkensitE #177815 31/05/07 07:21 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
yes it's illegal. you are allowed to offer the script as a download, but you may not include mIRC in the package.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
HafkensitE #177823 31/05/07 07:53 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
You'll need special permission from Khaled. I don't know for sure but mirc.net(or one of the scripting sites) offer mirc versions on their site. I don't know if it's only older versions or if they offer all versions. If they do I suspect they had to get the same permission.

btk

billythekid
Doqnach #179691 26/06/07 07:53 PM
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Originally Posted By: Doqnach
yes it's illegal. you are allowed to offer the script as a download, but you may not include mIRC in the package.

To make it even more clear, this is what the license agreement say:

mIRC may only be distributed as the original distribution install file as distributed by mIRC Co. Ltd. The mIRC distribution install file may not be distributed as a part of any package, and may not have files added to it or removed from it, and none of its contents may be modified, decompiled, or reverse engineered.

This means you can not distribute the mirc.exe file as a part of any script, it would also be a waste of bandwidth to put a huge .exe file in your .zip file.

Link Copied to Clipboard