mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Wolfie mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 28/12/16 04:46 AM
Code:
//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)
2012R2 7.46 0589fe3d339c7f1fc213ff9e099f2c9f ok 1 11 0 0

For some reason, mIRC keeps crashing. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a script, but there is nothing to help me narrow down what could be causing it. The event viewer doesn't give anything helpful and nothing in the debug windows (showing all in/out activity) that gives a clue. All that happens is a pop up that says mIRC has crashed and to try to debug, close, or search for a solution online.

I am using this instance of mIRC on Twitch and am using the mTwitch scripts (core, groupchat, etc) as well as "jsonformirc" that is providing from the same place. Instead of unloading script by script until it stops crashing (which there are times when it will run for over 24 hours with no issues, other times under an hour), I was hoping for some way to narrow down what could be triggering the issue (script call/function) and try to approach it from that direction, to see if there is a way around it if it's not necessary for my use.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 28/12/16 09:40 AM
Thanks for your bug report. There have been two reports of crashes with v7.46 (here and here), however I have not been able to reproduce the issue so far, so have not been able to track it down.

A beta version of mIRC with various fixes/changes is available here. If you use this beta, do you still see the same issue?
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 28/12/16 01:24 PM
I thought it might be an issue related to a script, which is why I didn't post it here (didn't want to assign blame to mIRC, as you tend to produce a quality product).

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue though.

I've downloaded the beta and have it running. Will report back if it crashes again in the next 48 hours or so.

I have noticed that when the channels are mostly idle, it doesn't happen as often, so will have to wait until at least one is active before it might crash.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 29/12/16 03:28 AM
Crashed again. I'm trying 7.45 now to see if that helps any.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 29/12/16 11:32 AM
Okay, thanks for the feedback. Another user did mention that 7.45 did not crash for them, so there may be a scripting-related issue in 7.46 but I would need more details to narrow it down.

If you run the beta in the same channels with no scripts at all, does the beta still crash eventually?
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 30/12/16 12:14 PM
It may very well be something in the scripting engine. There was a decent amount of activity in two of the channels and no issues so far on 7.45 (main) or the 7.46 (testing).

Only script in testing one is a startup one that makes two connections to the twitch server (two different names and different set of channels). Also starts up a timer that updates the titlebar with the current mIRC uptime. Uptime thus far is almost 16½ hours.

Have the same performs executing (enables additional info from the server), so everything is essentially the same except the lack of scripts.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 31/12/16 12:25 PM
Okay, I have released a new beta here that reverts a change in v7.46 that may have introduced a rare race/crash condition. I was not able to reproduce it but I would like to see if reverting this specific change makes a difference. Can you try out this new beta with all of your scripts to see if it reproduces the issue?
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 31/12/16 04:03 PM
Okay, got it going.

At this point, the 7.46 test install has reached 1d 20h 15m with no issues. I'll let it keep going until it's at least 2.5days just to be certain.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 01/01/17 05:22 AM
No good, it crashed again. (Live, not test.)
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 01/01/17 08:36 AM
Might help to troubleshoot if you have the same scripts.

I'm using all of the mtwitch.* scripts (and the jsonForMirc one) from this page:

https://github.com/SReject/mTwitch

Also have one called mtwitch.isupport but not sure where I got that from. Might be a discontinued script from there or one they offer but from another location. I have a few custom scripts too, but I have a hunch that it's one of those triggering the issue, possibly even the jsonForMirc one.
Posted By: Wims Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 01/01/17 05:07 PM
Can you state which script exactly you're using from mTwich addons?
In any case, the core has to be loaded I believe, and that file itself contains 6 on parseline events..
Try running the latest beta with all your script running, including mTwitch, but just don't connect to twitch server with mIRC, see if that crashes.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 01/01/17 06:52 PM
Thanks, I haven't used Twitch before, however I set up an account, installed mTwitch, and connected to irc.chat.twitch.tv. I joined several popular channels for several hours but the debugger did not pick up any issues during that time. I will try again later for a longer test period.

In the meantime: if you have catching enabled for URLS or Emails in Options/IRC/Catcher, please uncheck them. I am trying to narrow down potential causes and there was a big internal change in the URL/Email catcher in v7.46. Does disabling these options resolve the issue?
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 02/01/17 12:12 AM
Neither of them were checked.

At one point, I had thought that it could be unusual ASCII characters causing it, because a couple of different times I noticed such characters in the debug window when it would crash. However, I've also seen it NOT crash when such characters would be used, so I doubt that's the issue.

There doesn't appear to be any noticeable pattern to what causes the crash. There have been times when it goes for several hours with no issues (with one or more channels being active) to crashing for no apparent reason when there is no activity in any of the channels. It is usually when there is activity that it crashes though, and I've had it crash within minutes of restarting it.

My hope with the provided scripts was you would spot something that would give you an idea and have it magically be the issue. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking. Still, if the issue finally happens for you, then there is a much better chance of it being figured out sooner rather than later.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 02/01/17 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Wims
Can you state which script exactly you're using from mTwich addons?
I already answered that question when I provided the link to the scripts.

Originally Posted By: Wolfie
I'm using all of the mtwitch.* scripts (and the jsonForMirc one) from this page:
Posted By: Wims Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 02/01/17 01:31 AM
This is what I see though:
Quote:
I am using this instance of mIRC on Twitch and am using the mTwitch scripts (core, groupchat, etc)
'etc' could very well be the issue. Unloading one script at a time is really the only ultimate way to figure this out anyway, I'd suggest doing it as soon as possible.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 04/01/17 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Khaled
In the meantime: if you have catching enabled for URLS or Emails in Options/IRC/Catcher, please uncheck them. I am trying to narrow down potential causes and there was a big internal change in the URL/Email catcher in v7.46. Does disabling these options resolve the issue?
Any update? Not sure if you saw it before, but in response to this, I mentioned that neither were checked (were already unchecked).

Could it be related to the OS being used? I'm using WS2012R2. Maybe there's an unknown issue that make a difference. I'm sure it is also related to scripting on some level, but perhaps something in the scripts is a symptom vs being a cause. Just tossing it out there in hopes of it giving you ideas on what it could be.
Posted By: OrFeAsGr Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 04/01/17 02:33 PM
Quote:

Could it be related to the OS being used? I'm using WS2012R2. Maybe there's an unknown issue that make a difference. I'm sure it is also related to scripting on some level, but perhaps something in the scripts is a symptom vs being a cause. Just tossing it out there in hopes of it giving you ideas on what it could be.

I run an mIRC on the same OS 24/7, i haven't noticed any crashes for months. But i probably haven't upgraded to 7.46
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 04/01/17 04:04 PM
It seems to only be with 7.46. With 7.45, no issues.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 04/01/17 08:21 PM
I performed a longer test this time, ahout six hours, with mTwitch, irc.chat.twitch.tv, on five busy channels. Unfortunately, there were no crashes during this time. I tested with both a debug version of mIRC v7.46 and the release version.

If you can try again with v7.46, however this time please use the "/debug on" command which will enable writing incoming/outgoing server messages to a debug.log file. Make sure to uncheck "Lock log files" in the IRC/Logging section. The next time mIRC crashes, the debug.log file should contain the last line it received from the server that might be the cause of the crash.
Posted By: FroggieDaFrog Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 05/01/17 04:17 AM
I've noticed that you mentioned using my mTwitch scripts. Could you please list all that you have installed. Also, do the crashes correspond with your internet being intermittent at times? If so, it may not be a case of mIRC crashing but rather my script(JSON For mIRC.mrc) hanging on an HTTP request to twitch, it should time out after 60(?) seconds and mIRC should resume to function

@ Khaled, if need be I can add debugging to those scripts to output even more information for you
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 09/01/17 05:14 PM
Thanks for your help so far. I think I may have found the cause of the issue. There was a bug in the hash table routine, introduced in v7.46, that would have resulted in incorrect freeing of memory in some contexts. I was not able to reproduce a crash but this particular issue would have caused a crash eventually/intermittently. Hopefully it is the same bug that is causing your issue. I have uploaded a new beta here.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 10/01/17 12:00 AM
Originally Posted By: FroggieDaFrog
I've noticed that you mentioned using my mTwitch scripts. Could you please list all that you have installed. Also, do the crashes correspond with your internet being intermittent at times?
For the most part, I don't have connection issues. Using all of them, though I've removed the popup one since that wasn't working at all. Could enable any of the channels.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 10/01/17 12:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Thanks for your help so far. I think I may have found the cause of the issue. There was a bug in the hash table routine, introduced in v7.46, that would have resulted in incorrect freeing of memory in some contexts. I was not able to reproduce a crash but this particular issue would have caused a crash eventually/intermittently. Hopefully it is the same bug that is causing your issue. I have uploaded a new beta here.
Got it installed, will report back when it's survived hours of activity or when it crashes, whichever happens to be the case.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 10/01/17 07:06 PM
Okay, a streamer did a morning stream that lasted over 5hrs with no issues. Not saying that it means the issue is solved, but it's a good sign.

mIRC uptime is over 19hrs at this point. Will wait until another couple of streamers have been on for a few hours (should be starting in a few hours from now). I have a good feeling about this, but again, not jumping the gun.
Posted By: Wolfie Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 11/01/17 03:49 AM
Might be a safe bet that the hash table was the issue. Another stream, nearing 6 hours, with mIRC uptime being 1d 4h.

Still could be another issue (I've learned to be cautiously optimistic), but it's looking like you nailed it.
Posted By: Khaled Re: mIRC 7.46 keeps crashing - 12/01/17 07:29 AM
Great, good to hear. So it does look like it was the cause of the crash. Thanks again for your feedback. This fix will be in the next version.
© mIRC Discussion Forums