mIRC Homepage
Posted By: bynw message length - 07/08/05 03:11 PM
I am wondering if mirc has a built in limitation to the length (in bytes) of messages sent to channels and private chats. it seems that it does at around 512bytes.

is there a way to increase this limit? and if so ... how??

thanks
Posted By: Kelder Re: message length - 07/08/05 04:03 PM
It's more likely that the IRC server will not allow longer messages than that. The irc network I'm on passed a 457 character text, although I sent 800. This means mIRC is not the (first) problem, you'll have to convince the coders of the IRC daemon software to allow longer messages.

The easiest fix: send 2 or more shorter messages, that's what it was meant for too...
Posted By: bynw Re: message length - 07/08/05 04:07 PM
I know its not the server i am on. it does allow message 1k in length
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: message length - 08/08/05 02:32 PM
In answer to your question, yes, mIRC has a limit. Someone else can mention what it is exactly as I can't remember.

I would assume the limit in mIRC is such that a message as long as allowed in mIRC will be displayed on most networks. Otherwise, you can enter 1000 characters in mIRC and assume it will display properly and then have only half of them show up. That's more of a pain.

However, something that might be a good Feature Suggestion, would be to have mIRC read the maximum message length from the network (I think that's possible... correct me if it isn't) and adjust its maximum message length to match that. I don't know if that would be a possibility, but it would still be a possible Feature Suggestion.
Posted By: RusselB Re: message length - 09/08/05 12:36 AM
Test format
[hh:mm:ss]<13char_nick> message

message shows correct up to 425 characters
© mIRC Discussion Forums