mIRC Homepage
Posted By: bunar ident - 09/05/04 07:32 PM
(20:41) -217.75.98.138- *** Looking up your hostname

(20:41) -217.75.98.138- *** Checking Ident

(20:41) -217.75.98.138- *** Found your hostname

some times in year server cannot reckognize my ident and instead my hostname it shows ip in /whois request

is there a way through scripting to make server NOT to reckognize my ident or it depends on my isp ?
Posted By: Mentality Re: ident - 09/05/04 07:59 PM
For ident, try switching IdentD off - /identd off

As far as I have seen, heard or experienced, you cannot make the server not resolve your hostname. You could try enabling a firewall I guess, servers have not resolved my hostname in the past when I've had the XP Firewall on. It doesn't happen all the time though.

Regards,
Posted By: bunar Re: ident - 09/05/04 08:01 PM
identd off makes only my id with "~" preffix......

and wuth firewall its all normal... just takes longer to connect...
Posted By: Mentality Re: ident - 09/05/04 08:14 PM
Well yes, you can't hide your identd completely, that is not possible...i.e. you can't have "bunar is @hostname * gecos".

And yes, the firewall may not necessarily prevent the server from resolving your hostname, just a suggestion that I've found in the past.

Regards,
Posted By: Collective Re: ident - 09/05/04 08:50 PM
A firewall shouldn't have any effect on your DNS resolving (your ISP's DNS server(s) control that). Infact, the fact your being looked up is never even sent to your computer.

How DNS works <- that page shows pretty much all I know about DNS, so I could be wrong.
Posted By: Mentality Re: ident - 09/05/04 09:22 PM
That's what I thought, and what I have been told since - it's quite possible it had nothing to do with the firewall, and it was a coincidence. However, it did happen just after enabling the firewall, honest! smile

Regards,
Posted By: PastMaster Re: ident - 10/05/04 06:17 AM
Server requests do sometimes time out - be they ident requests to client or DNS requests. Certainly I can recall cases where a resolved host was shown on several networks while on one it was not, even tho' all were connected to within the space of 5 minutes.

I would imagine that If you run your own nameserver the results are easier to manipulate...

PM
© mIRC Discussion Forums