Print Thread
S
Silque Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Using mIRC with EZ-2-Serve script.

I just moved to a new town, and have Knology cable. I've been using IRC for years, and have never had this issue. When I attempt to connect, I get this:

[6:20pm] * Connecting to irc.sing4me-irc.org (6667)
-
[6:20pm] Local host: Connie-PC (192.168.0.146)
-
-moon.sing4me-irc.org- *** Looking up your hostname...
-moon.sing4me-irc.org- *** Checking Ident
-
* Identd request from 74.124.212.210
* Identd replied: 58775, 6667 : USERID : UNIX : Silque
-
-moon.sing4me-irc.org- *** Got Ident response
-moon.sing4me-irc.org- *** Couldn't look up your hostname

I am using a router, with the correct ports forwarded, and I'm running Simple Static IP. Nothing on my computer has changed. The 2nd tier support guy is telling me that they "don't assign hostnames to DNS." And that I need to go to an online Dynamic DNS site. Can someone help me out, please? And explain it like I'm a moron.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It doesn't really matter that much if it can't find your hostname. Undernet doesn't find mine about half the time while any other network I use has no problems at all. If you really want to have it resolve and your ISP isn't resolving, you might be able to try using a free DNS server like Google's and see if that works for you.

Your subject says you can't connect, but the unable to find hostname isn't a failure to connect. Is there more to the messages? Are you sure you're not connected? If you aren't able to connect, try connecting to a different network such as Efnet. You can also try connecting to an server's IP address and using different ports.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Silque Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
There is no other message, it just keeps cycling through the same thing, over and over.

S
Silque Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Ok, I changed my adapter settings to use Googles DNS server, and it's STILL not connecting! Can someone PLEASE help me? I'm getting desperate!

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
I connected, took ~30 seconds.

Try connecting to one of these servers in the /map

moon.sing4me-irc.org
conductor.sing4me-irc.org
calypso.sing4me-irc.org

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Call up your cable company. If the only thing that changed was the ISP, then the problem is obviously with your new ISP.

FYI a warning about failing to resolve a hostname implies that your ISP is not providing reverse DNS capabilities on your IP. This may be a temporal issue, or it just might be the way the ISP decides to work. It also might just be a routing issue with that one IRC server. Either way, you need to contact your ISP to confirm the problem is on their end.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard