mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
B
Been using mIRC fine for months. Last week I tried opening up the client and it just froze on me and wouldn't open. I checked task manager and my disk usage is on 100%. I let it run for an hour but the disk usage was still 100% and the client wouldn't respond. I've tried to reinstall mIRC with no avail.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The most common reason for this is anti-virus software. Some anti-virus software, eg. Norton, are known for mistakenly blocking mIRC every so often when they update their signature files, preventing it from running correctly. You will usually need to contact them to report a false positive. You might be able to get around their block by adding an exception to Norton for mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not sure if it applies in this situation, but have you tried, while mIRC is the active window, to hold down the CONTROL-BREAK keys? In case a script has somehow gotten into an infinite loop. It's hard to tell if you've reached the ON START event when a script could be causing this.

I had a problem where mIRC would have a LONG pause every time I started it up, though it would continue on after about a minute. It was happening during the period while scripts were executing the ON START event. Finally I traced it to a script that was only setting and unsetting a few variables during ON START. When I unloaded that script, suddenly no more pause. I renamed the script, then copied back to the original filename, and reloaded the script-copy using the original filename, and when I reloaded it there was no more long pause.

I've had disks where a bad sector caused the accessing application to freeze for long periods, but not sure if it'd cause a delay as long as you're experiencing.

Link Copied to Clipboard