mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
I use WinME and AnalogX's Proxy program to connect through my home network to the Internet. I tried to connect to neskaya.esper.net:6667 the other night, but since I apparently don't have mIRC proxy settings set up correctly I can't get on. I tried several other servers (legend.esper.net, chocobo.esper.net, irc.dal.net, dragons.ca.us.dal.net) to confirm that it's on my end and not theirs. I had this configured at one point, but the last time I had to do it was May of this year and while I'd made notes on it I had to format my computer the other night and lost everything, and can't remember a thing.

I've fiddled around a LOT with the Options-Connect-Firewall menu... I've tried all the possible combinations I could think of (orderly, going down the list and changing one option at a time in an efficient manner) of setting it to Socks4, Socks5, and Proxy, putting in the network IP of the host I connect to (192.168.0.1, of course) and I can't use its real IP because we get a dynamic IP every time we connect to the Internet. I've used it's actual name on the network, my name on the network, her actual Windows logon name, my password, her password, and I've chcked both ports 1080 and 6588 to connect with, and still, nothing works.
haaaaaalp *glubglubglub*

P
OP Offline
P
I assmue that, due to the stunned silence, nobody has any ideas...?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I've never used a proxy to connect to IRC, so I'm not an expert, and I've never heard of AnalogX's Proxy prorgam - You may find some useful information at http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/proxies.html though, and also have you tried Googling? What about using the Search feature on the forum, make sure you expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
OP Offline
P
OK, I read over that page... apparently AnalogX has its port useage hardcoded into it, using most of the common ports for everything. I read over that page, then Googled for any more help with the following string: "AnalogX proxy" IRC ~and didn't get anything. I've been back and forth over my connection and I'm kinda thinking that it might be a DNS problem (because I've had those before) but I don't know why mIRC and AIM and Exploder^H^H^H^H^H^HExplorer and DC++ and all my other stuff would work and not mIRC. ... cranky program, innit. So I'm not sure what's what.

Anyway. I tried more servers - Sorcery.Net, Quakenet, EFNet, a couple others I don't remember offhand, and nothing, so I uninstalled and reinstalled mIRC v6.16 and tried again. Nothing. I'm really, really stuck now... I could use some help.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Is it absolutely mandatory that you connect through a proxy? You might consider not doing so, 95% of people don't! Not a great solution admittedly, but I don't know what's wrong.

It's quite possibly related to your network setup or something technical which we couldn't possibly know about without having access to your home and/or perhaps being a professional.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
OP Offline
P
Yes. I have to connect through a proxy. I would like to not have to but with one dial up connection in the house and two computers wanting to be online I got the short end of the bandwidth stick. And more than likely it's something on my end... but danged if I can figure out what. All right... as long as I've covered all my bases on mIRC, I'll be content.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Do you have MSN or another application that requires you to input your proxy information, perhaps one that 'automatically detects' them, if so you can simply copy/paste over the details in most cases.

Eamonn.

P
OP Offline
P
Hi again guys.

OK, I've been working on this for days and I'm still not getting anything. I've monkeyed around with my computer so much that I think I've manually reset every setting possible. Is there like a program that could diagnose my connection to an IRC server and tell me what's wrong, or perhaps a complete checklist or something I could look over? Because being able to connect to everything but IRC is driving me crazy.

Link Copied to Clipboard