mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Q
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
Q
Either I or my friend am doing something wrong, or mIRC simply has poor file resume support. My friend re-sent me the same file three times over mIRC, each of them have been resumed once or twice, every time the file hit my system, their MD5 checksum mismatched the original on my friends system.

After having checked the filesize for all of the files, they're all exactly the same, it's just that the MD5 checksum fails. After sending the file via ICQ, no problems, MD5 checksum match.
I'd love an explanation on this, I've successfully wasted three nights attempting to receive the file thanks to mIRC's uselessness in this respect. I even had my friend reset all his DCC settings back to default, still having problems with resumes and large files. gg guys

(at least now I know that at least AOL knows how to get SOME things right in their software, unlike some others)

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You just answered your own question. mIRC has the capability to send and receive files, but there are far more efficient - and safe - ways of doing this. Especially with large files.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Let me guess, you're using $md5(filename) to get the checksum? If so, you should be using $md5(filename,2) so that mIRC knows the parameter is a filename and not just text.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Q
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
Q
Actually no I'm not using $md5(), I already have enough doubts with mIRC and things not working with it. I went to compile "md5sum" from Linux into Windows and used THAT instead, which -NEVER- gives problems wink

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Hmm, oh well. The resume on DCC is notoriously suspect, then again the DCC protocol as a whole isn't great - redundant ack's and such. It would be easier and more efficient to just use a different program/protocol to transfer large files.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Link Copied to Clipboard