Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79377 15/04/04 11:11 AM
B
blaah Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
B
It would be really usefull to add support for UTF8, so most ppl would see correct characters even if remote user is using different keyboard maps.

Of course global change takes some time, but overall it is a good way.

Some of Linux clients support this already, and for mIRC this could be one feature to beat other Windows IRC clients.

#79378 15/04/04 02:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This has been suggested before, and is on Khaled's to do list for the future - read this thread.

Obviously, these things take time, so remember "patience is a virtue" wink

Just an FYI, always a good idea to use the Search feature before posting to see if something similar has been posted before. For best results, expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts'.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#79379 17/04/04 12:54 AM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Why aren't threads bumped on this forum anyway?

Actually the petition got a lot of criticism from members of this board, but it would have been handy to have at least one Unicode thread bumped whenever people decided to post.

Oh, and the petition's alive and kicking... 136 signatures including myself.

#79380 17/04/04 11:43 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Why aren't threads bumped on this forum anyway?

- Probably because bumping is the most annoying thing ever. Yes, ever. What point would there be for an old thread about Unicode to be bumped everytime someone posted an inane addition to it like "I'd like to see this!"? Everyone - including Khaled - knows already that it's a useful feature and that people want to see it, so why make it keep bouncing back and wasting forum space?

Maybe their should be a sticky post with a list of the few things that Khaled has said will be in future versions, but post bumping is just plain annoying.

Quote:
Actually the petition got a lot of criticism from members of this board...

- The petition got criticism because it was pointless. Khaled's already said it will be added so why petition for something which you already know will be added?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#79381 17/04/04 12:02 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Quote:
- Probably because bumping is the most annoying thing ever. Yes, ever. What point would there be for an old thread about Unicode to be bumped everytime someone posted an inane addition to it like "I'd like to see this!"? Everyone - including Khaled - knows already that it's a useful feature and that people want to see it, so why make it keep bouncing back and wasting forum space?

The whole point of bumping is to put active threads first so that people won't have to start a new thread every time they want to ask about something, like now. You obviously have never used any other forums before.
Quote:
- The petition got criticism because it was pointless. Khaled's already said it will be added so why petition for something which you already know will be added?

Spare me the forum ego-trip, OK. At the time when I posted the petition, there had hardly been a mention of UTF-8, and using a petition like this is a valuable way of measuring how many people outside the board are actually interested. Well, would-be, if it weren't for people like you who seem to think that it's some kind of plot to offend Khaled personally.

#79382 17/04/04 12:18 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
The whole point of bumping is to put active threads first so that people won't have to start a new thread every time they want to ask about something, like now. You obviously have never used any other forums before.

- If something has been posted before then there's no need to make a new thread every time anyway. And yes I have used other forums before, how else do you think I know that bumping is the worst thing ever. Yes, ever.

Quote:
Spare me the forum ego-trip, OK. At the time when I posted the petition, there had hardly been a mention of UTF-8, and using a petition like this is a valuable way of measuring how many people outside the board are actually interested. Well, would-be, if it weren't for people like you who seem to think that it's some kind of plot to offend Khaled personally.

- Yes, at the time you posted your petition there were only 3 or 4 posts about it, one of them being yours from about 12 minutes earlier. Then in that very thread Khaled pointed out that Unicode was on his 'todo list', so I have to wonder why you keep posting these semi-regular 'updates' of your petition as if it has any bearing on anything. And who said anything about offending Khaled? I'm talking about boring forum users with a meaningless petition.

#79383 17/04/04 12:40 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Quote:
- Yes, at the time you posted your petition there were only 3 or 4 posts about it, one of them being yours from about 12 minutes earlier. Then in that very thread Khaled pointed out that Unicode was on his 'todo list', so I have to wonder why you keep posting these semi-regular 'updates' of your petition as if it has any bearing on anything. And who said anything about offending Khaled? I'm talking about boring forum users with a meaningless petition.

He pointed out that it was on his todo-list in the same thread more than 20 hours later. What you're implying, then, is that I should have checked for future posts at the time of posting. Why do you even bother?

#79384 17/04/04 12:53 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Huh? Read that line where I said that again. Notice the words "semi-regular 'updates'". I wasn't talking about your original post about it, I'm talking about how you keep telling us how many people have signed the petition. Just why you're even still running it boggles the mind.

Anyway I think that'll do for me on this thread. I don't want to bore users with pointless arguing about how you bore users with your pointless petition.

#79385 17/04/04 01:04 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Oh, and the petition's alive and kicking... 136 signatures including myself.

Oh Wow! Khaled better hurry and get it done, then .. that's OBVIOUSLY a majority of people that have signed it!

give us all a break and shut up about it.
[/rant]

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#79386 17/04/04 01:29 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As has been pointed out in previous threads it is pointless providing updates on this vote you participated in because it (UTF support) is already supposed to be on the drawing board. The fact that 136 people responded hardly makes the FOR motion a resounding success as there's probably millions of other mIRC users that either think it shouldn't be added, don't care much either way (undecided) or do want it but don't care for the politics or being a member of the loud minority claiming that a vote on the issue will fast-track implementation. That said, I do support the inclusion of UTF, not for myself because I won't benefit, but for others because alot of people will benefit from it. It is obviously not an easy or quick job to get the support right though otherwise it would probably be available by now.

General reply to all: As for the arguement about "bumping" until the arguement started I didn't even know what the hell it meant though as this has now come to light, I think the forum author should probably consider it though make it optional in the same way each user can choose between flat mode (my preference) and thread mode. Debating the merits of it here isn't going to get bumping added to the forum though, try emailing the author about it.

#79387 17/04/04 01:58 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Dude, I'm not actually interested in opinions about it.

#79388 17/04/04 02:00 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
The petition is still up because it's not possible to take it down.

I'm tired of all this anti-petitionism now, so I'll be taking my leave of this discussion.

#79389 17/04/04 04:10 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Oh, by the way, those above replies weren't directed at you, watchdog.

#79390 17/04/04 09:15 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"The whole point of bumping is to put active threads first so that people won't have to start a new thread every time they want to ask about something, like now. "

Its easy enough to use our search feature to see if there are other threads on an issue and post to one of them rather than start a new one. So often, when ppl dont bother to do that, someone else takes the time and posts a link for them and explains how to use the search feature to get the best results.

i, and lots of others, take advantage of another feature to see active threads. either set the entire forum or each one individually to show active threads within the time frame you choose, be it 1 day, 2 days, a week, etc. If someone posts today on a thread thats a year old, its right there on the pages i set condensed to "show active in last day".

that said, its pretty annoying when someone goes to an old thread and posts the single word "bump" without any additions of value or further questions just to get it to show up in the set active time frame.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#79391 18/04/04 09:31 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
I'm not actually interested in opinions

So why keep on about the petition? confused

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#79392 01/07/04 10:44 AM
M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M
Unicode would be nice anytime. Seriously I don't understand why you wouldn't want to push that. There's a huge market for asian people and other nations. more money unwanted?

#79393 01/07/04 10:54 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Because Khaled has already said it will be added at some point, so repeated pestering does nothing but take up space on the boards. There's no need to 'push' anything.

#79394 02/07/04 12:32 AM
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
Quote:

Khaled
12/02/2003 15:02
Support for UTF-8 is on my to-do list. I haven't a chance to look into it yet though, will definitely be doing so at some point.

Its nearly been 1,5 years ago since he wrote this. I think we need a new statement on this from him smile

#79395 02/07/04 01:53 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
[2¢]
Since when does Khaled owe you (or anyone else, for that matter) an update on what he's already stated is planned for mirc "AT SOME POINT"? He's busy enough working on mirc as it is without having to take time to "update" every comment he's made just to please people that are too impatient to simply wait and let him add things as he sees fit. Give it a break and let him work instead of whining about "Its nearly been xx.x months/years (minutes?) since he wrote this and I need an update".
[/2¢]

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#79396 02/07/04 11:57 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well it's not like he's just changed his mind and not bothered to tell anyone is it? 18 months isn't very long for a major change like UTF, and that's assuming it was on the top of his to-do list. Remember it's not just a case of switching a program to UTF, there's also an entire scripting language which needs support aswell. I think many people underestimate (or don't even consider) just how difficult that will be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard