Print Thread
#74038 06/03/04 02:56 PM
M
moebbc Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
How the hell do you get rid of this program. I don't want is and never downloaded it. It shows up at startup. I want if off my damn pc.

#74039 06/03/04 03:00 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Check in add/remove programs, if it's not there/removing it doesn't fix your problem you probably have a virus, run a virus scan. There are free online scanners, HouseCall, for example.

#74040 06/03/04 03:07 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

mIRC has no feature to launch at Windows' startup.

- It's maybe some kind of virus using mIRC's icon or layout. You maybe got an infected E-mail with an attached program/malware. Anyway, run an up-to-date antivirus.
- Check your Start > Programs > Launch folder for a mIRC/virus/unknown shortcut.
- Otherwise, remove it from the registry:
execute "regedit.exe"
and browse:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run
Here are the programs that launch at startup.
Delete the suspicious one or post the list here if unsure.

#74041 06/03/04 03:32 PM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Just a general tip: being polite will always get you more answers than just a demand. Please remember that the people here are unpaid volunteers and enthusiasts.

To answer your question:
a large number of viruses and trojans now use mIRC for one reason or another; if you never downloaded the program then you have probably been infected.

I suggest that you run an up-to-date antivirus program and an up-to-date anti-trojan program (like PestPatrol from SaferSite) to try to get rid of the problem. Search for mIRC files on all your hard drives, and remove mIRC from your registry.

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#74042 07/03/04 06:49 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I realize that some situations can be more than a bit frustrating, but please realize that the problem you are having isnt due to an official mIRC version. You managed to get your puter infected with one of the many nasties that are around. In addition to the already helpful replies, also read this thread

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard