Print Thread
#72503 23/02/04 10:58 AM
L
LtPhil Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
L
i'm building a computer for my friend's daughters, and have set it up so they each have their own profile in windows, so they can have their own documents, wallpaper, settings, etc.

is there some way to set up mirc to either:
a) use the windows profiles to change user settings (nick, e-mail, etc)
or b) offer a mozilla-esque "choose your profile" dialog, so they can choose their profile when they start mirc, and it will set the appropriate nick/etc. ?

i'm sure there's a way to do it with scripts, but i've already invested a ton of work in this computer, and am starting to fizzle out, creatively speaking. if someone knows of some scripts that can make this happen, or if khaled happens to read this and implement it in the next version wink , that would rock, otherwise i suppose i'll just leave it as plain ol' vanilla mirc, and they'll just have to manually change stuff.

if i do get creative/industrious at some point and write a script to do one or both of the above, i will try to remember to post a link to it here, for anyone else who might be interested in it smile

#72504 23/02/04 11:04 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
just make two mirc folders, and give each of them a shortcut to there own, thats the fastest and simplest way

#72505 23/02/04 07:40 PM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Maybe this will be of interest to you. smile

#72506 24/02/04 10:51 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I would definitely give them each their own mIRC folder; completely independant mIRC installations.

This allows each of them to customize all they want with sounds and scripts and logs and downloads, without the other one complaining about changing stuff or deleting stuff. mIRC is such a tiny install anyway, so if one screws up Big Time where mIRC needs to be re-installed, the other one doesn't have a nervous breakdown.

Also, mIRC can be easily duplicated with multiple locations on your system. There's no need to use the installer each time... just copy/paste.

- Raccoon

PS. You're knowingly encouraging someone's daughters to IRC? With the rest of us filthy scum?? shocked

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#72507 24/02/04 09:29 PM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
  "I would definitely give them each their own mIRC folder; completely independant mIRC installations"
I definately wouldn't,. smile
Using the default mIRC install path with seperate working dirs allows for much easier upgrading. Install the upgrade once with the default path, and all users copies are upgraded.
This also allows "each of them to customize all they want with sounds and scripts and logs and downloads, without the other one complaining about changing stuff or deleting stuff". wink

#72508 25/02/04 12:09 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What happenes when one of them downloads and installs a script that writes over mirc.exe and mirc.ini, then adds/removes a slew of other files that can only be cleaned up by simply starting over from scratch? The problem is that most scripts are not user-profile oriented and expect only a single user is making use of the \mirc path.

I'd worry about one sibling's logs/downloads being in any proximity to the other sibling's. All it takes is one little "oops" to start a family meltdown and years of therapy. smirk

#72509 25/02/04 12:26 AM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Nothing. grin That method leaves mirc.exe in \Program files\mirc\ (why it's so much simpler to upgrade) while ALL other files are in \userprofile\...\mirc.

Each user can not only do whatever they like to their own scripts|sounds|logs|etc as they are not only totally seperate from the other user{s}, but other users can't even SEE them (if the profile is made private). laugh

#72510 25/02/04 03:57 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You're right. This setup would be ideal provided that neither downloads a pre-made script that interferes with this setup. I'm always just looking at the worst case scenerio. crazy

I suppose it would be best just to lay down ground rules and teach them the basics of using mIRC intelligently, and not to screw with it. grin

#72511 25/02/04 06:19 AM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Well, if they did, they would have to make themselves a shortcut to the new exe anyway.

Teach them some basic computer sense and explain that such things should be downloaded into their own profile and not the common "\Program Files\". smile

#72512 25/02/04 09:49 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:

Teach them some basic computer sense and explain that such things should be downloaded into their own profile and not the common "\Program Files\".

Mahahahahahahaha come on lets get real, we all know, users are not capable of understanduing that idea.

Link Copied to Clipboard