mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I am unable to use mIRC completely because the options dialog box does not come up on start up. I am unable to reserve a nickname, therefore I am unable to use mIRC. I have been told that the option dialog box does not come up because I do not have enough memory on my machine. That may be true, but then I was told I need 128MB free to run it if other programs are running in the background and 64MB free with no programs running. I have 300MB free! Does this make sense to anyone? I am new to mIRC and I am eager to download toons from my childhood. Thank you.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
the options dialog box does not come up on start up.

To have the options dialog box come up when you open mIRC:
[*] Open mIRC
[*] Press Alt-O to open the options dialog manually
[*] Go to Connect/Options and tick the 'popup connect dialog on startup' box

Quote:
I am unable to reserve a nickname, therefore I am unable to use mIRC

'Reserving' (registering) a nickname is a network feature, and has nothing to do with the mIRC client. Not all networks allow nickname registration. Having a registered nickname makes no difference to the operation of mIRC

Quote:
I have been told that the option dialog box does not come up because I do not have enough memory on my machine

This is rubbish - I have mIRC running quite happily on a machine with 32MB RAM and other processes operating.

Quote:
I am eager to download toons from my childhood.

mIRC is not designed to be a file-sharing system, nor is file-sharing supported by the IRC protocols of the networks to which you can connect using mIRC. For information on what mIRC *can* do in terms of sending and receiving files, open mIRC and type /help sending and receiving files

Hope this helps

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Added note:

It has been said by some in the past that other programs taking up high CPU usage have caused problems with the options dialog. Close other programs and then re-open mIRC and see if that works.

It is also possible that there was a corruption when you installed mIRC - you are advised to close ALL other running programs when using mIRC, even those that are idle in the taskbar (popular possibilities include MSN Messenger, Kazaa, AntiViruses, Quicktime). If the above didn't work, try re-installing. Make sure you ONLY get mIRC from www.mirc.com/get.html.

I know that this issue has been mentioned before, so you may also like to run a Search. Expand to 'All Forums' and expand the date range to 'All Posts' for best results. Search ideas may be "option dialog" "no options" etc.

Although verrrrry unlikely, if all else fails (make sure you take into consideration PastMaster's good advice and do more than one Search) then you may try mIRC 5.91 16-bit. Please note that this is only an "if-all-else-fails" idea, because it's so unlikely this is needed (unless you're running Windows 3.1 or 3.11, which is also unlikely). It is available at the bottom of www.mirc.com/get.html - Make sure you wait for other suggestions in this thread before using this.

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The options dialog needs system resources to be able to open up. Under older versions of Windows, such as Windows 95/98/ME, system resources are limited, and if you have other software running in the background which also use up system resources, mIRC may be unable to open the options dialog.

If you try closing other applications and then try opening mIRC, this may solve the problem.

As far as I know, this is not a problem under newer versions of Windows XP/NT/etc.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I've run across stuff like that regularly ever since I re-installed XP. Even so bad as it won't even bring up the popups anymore until I close some app. Windows sucks frown

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
As far as I know, this is not a problem under newer versions of Windows XP/NT/etc.

I have had a problem with a memory leak in 2k (never found out where it came from :-[) but when my mem was full, mIRC would not open new windows nor dialogs...it's just a facts those things cost memory and if it's not there mIRC can't do anything about it...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Link Copied to Clipboard