Print Thread
G
GTE Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
G
hi,
I tried to connect to MIRC, but it read connection refused. yesterday it was okay, but today I've tried many times and it keeps on giving me the same message saying the connection was refused.
please advise on what I should do to solve this problem, thank you

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Try a different server - select one geographically close to you from the list.

By the way, you don't connect to mIRC, you use mIRC to connect to an IRC network... contrary to popular belief, IRC has been around longer than the mIRC client...

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
G
GTE Offline OP
OP Offline
G
you know what... I'm very stupid at irc stuff lol
where can I select to connect to somewhere else? thanks

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
No problem, we all started by knowing nothing! grin

If, when you open mIRC, you get the connect dialog (which asks for your nick and everything), press that weird coloured star to get to the server selection bit.

Otherwise, in mIRC, press Alt-E to select a server, or select File/Select Server from the drop down menu.

Hope this helps

PM

G
GTE Offline OP
OP Offline
G
thanks, I went to those places but unfortunately there was nothing for me to select.
how can I add a server? thanks again

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Click on the word 'Add' in that same dialog. The IRC server is where the server address goes (i.e. irc.server.com), you can leave the port as '6667' and the group is what it will appear in the drop down list. You don't need to fill out the description if you don't want to, and unless the server is password protected (you'd know if it was or not) you don't need a password.

You don't actually *need* to add a server to that list in order to connect. If you know the server name, then simply use /server irc.server.here and mIRC will connect to IRC. For a list of servers, try the network's website, they often have the servers listed. If you don't know the network's web address put the network's name in www.google.com and it should come up with it.

Usually servers will have the country code in the server name *if* the server is in that area (so you can connect to a closer server geographically). For example, a European server might have .eu in it, like DALnet's powertech server is powertech.no.eu.dal.net. If it doesn't have that, the servers are probably grouped, and you could just do /server uk.network.com (like uk.dal.net) or /server us.network.net (for an American server) and so on. If no servers match your state/country then just try the closest one (so if there's no .ca (Canada) servers, try a .us (United States) server).

G'luck smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
If there is really *nothing* there, then it sounds like you need to download servers.ini file from this website! (Specifically, HERE). Put this file in your main mIRC directory/folder and then try again.

PM

G
GTE Offline OP
OP Offline
G
thanks for all the help but... it still says
unable to resolve server

::>_<:: I'm very stupid at these codes scripts whatever else things, I'm sorry I can't figure it out, I even tried downloading the "servers.ini" file but it already exists and after replacing it, it still doesn't work...

thanks please help again -_-

G
GTE Offline OP
OP Offline
G
anyone please help?

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Unable to resolve server means that there was either a DNS problem somewhere between you and the server, or that the server you chose is down/closed/no longer exists.

The only solution is to try a different server.

PM

G
GTE Offline OP
OP Offline
G
it still doesn't work... I tried to uninstall it, I was able to connect to an european server but for a few specific ones, it still read "connection refused". was I banned or something?
thanks...

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Connection refused is not the same as a ban. It just means that that server does not want users from your ISP and/or country (for whatever reason).

Glad you found some servers you could connect to though!

Just a thought - if you're on IRCnet and you're in Europe, you *WILL* have to use a server geographically close to (and preferably in the same country as) you. None of the others will want you.

PM

G
GTE Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I reside in canada, though I'm pretty near the boarder of US and Canada. 2 days ago I can still connect to all the servers... but now I can't connect to all the servers! the euro server I mentioned that I connected to had now freaked out and refuses my connection too. what can I do? there must be some other solution for users with this kind of trouble... please
thank you very much

Link Copied to Clipboard