mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Hi all, I know there are tons of threads on this topic. I was wondering why though even after following the tutorial to set up the Windows XP Firewall.......I still can't DCC send. Maybe it's because I'm at college and I should just stop trying (rather than whine to my tech dept to unblock it if they even are in the first place which I'm not even sure) I can receive files just fine though.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Make sure you type /localinfo -u and then try. Try sending to several different people to make sure it's you with the problem and not the person you're sending to.

The most likely reason however, is that your school does have some sort of block on DCC (it's prolly aimed more at the ports needed rather than the mIRC feature!) so try talking to the tech dept. Please be aware we don't help with evading school policy etc smile

Also make sure that you read over this thread.

G'luck! smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
O
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
O
When you send someone a file, you actually turn your computer into a server, tell him what your IP is and ask him to connect and get the file. Now many things can prevent him from connecting. Perhaps you gave him a wrong IP address (which is what "/localinfo -u" attempts to fix); or there is a firewall blocking incoming connections on the port you're listening to; or it could be a router not forwarding his connection request to the correct computer.

You can try to trace the problem and solve it, but since it's not your personal computer why not just go the way around: ask your friend to turn his computer into a server and connect to him on any port you wish (e.g. 80, that's likely not to be blocked where you are). To accomplish that, ask your friend to type:
  • /dccserver +s on 80
Now, ask him for his IP address, and to start sending a file merely type:
  • /dcc send IP:80
Yep, that's it. Now your friend can disable the server manually by typing
  • /dccserver off
Good luck...

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone, I'll try what you all recommended, and if those things don't work, I'll just go without smile

Link Copied to Clipboard