mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Mystiq Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
Yes, I know, the WOW64 layer is supposed to run all 32-bit programs seamlessly but mIRC seems to have a problem. So here we go.

I have a dual boot with XP-64 and regular 32-bit Windows 2000. mIRC is registered in Windows 2000. I booted up in XP-64 after I found sound drivers (hideous, but they work) and after trying a few things, I went to run mIRC. All went well for the most part. I click Continue after it asks me to register (again, in XP-64), click on options, hit the star next to the connect button to get the server list and after literally 2 seconds, it stops responding. Subsequent runs it locks after hitting Continue on the ask-me-to-register window (I have not been able to register it under XP-64).

Now, could this a fixable bug in mIRC's end or is it a bug in the preproduction OS? (Hopefully the former.) Mind you, mIRC isn't the only program with which I've had a problem. I once put a 32-bit driver CD under 64-bit XP and the autorun program crashed before it displayed it's window.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
1. Are you using a 64 bit machine? Is the machine powered by an AMD processor? (Intel doesn't make processors for 64/32 installs). If not them I'm surprised that even Windows 64 would work on it.
2. It might be that mIRC will not work on a 64 bit version of Windows in the same way that the 16 bit mIRC won't work on the 32 bit version of Windows.

I suppose Khaled will need to aquire a 64 bit Windows before being able to get mIRC running smoothly on it. Then again, with the slackness (I know this will offend some but stiff bikkies) of updates over the last 18 months I'd be surprised if Khaled even cared if mIRC worked in more modern environments.

M
Mystiq Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
It's the Athlon 64.

The funny thing is when I originally tried it a month or so ago, it worked just fine. All of a sudden it wants to lock up. Thankfully ChatZilla works.

I tried running the 64-bit version of IE under 32-bit 2000; "This is not a valid Win32 application." So no, it wouldn't work.

Last edited by Mystiq; 31/01/04 10:41 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sounds like it's mIRC then. I'd love a 64 bit machine but I am saving for a 4x4 at the moment and really have to stay focussed. grin

M
Mystiq Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
You should. Even without the 64-bitness, they're monsters. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
After I get my Land Rover I'll have a ponder on it. laugh

T
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
T
Hey, this is easy to fix, im running amd64 on windows xp 64-bit as well and if u go to the mirc.exe and right click on it and select "propterties" click the "Compatibility" Tab. Then under Compatibility mode click the drop down box and select Windows 2000, and make sure it is checked to run in that mode. this should fix everything. click ok and run mirc.

poof. errors should go away they did for me wink

M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
M
I just got a new HP/Compaq D530 that was preinstalled with Windows XP Pro.

mIRC runs OK until I connect to a server, and then I get "mIRC has encuntered a problem and needs to close".

The weird thing is that mIRC continues to work just fine (I can chat and everything) until I either click "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send", which causes mIRC to close.

If I click the link to show the contents of the error report, it shows me:
AppName: mirc.exe AppVer: 6.1.0.0 ModName: ws2_32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1240 Offset: 00003b2c

Like the experience of the person who posted earlier, ChatZilla works fine.....

Last edited by mwburden; 05/02/04 04:47 AM.
M
M
Unlike Tilt's experience, running in Windows 2000 compatibility mode did not make anything better for me.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Have you tried running mIRC as a WOW32 application (never mind the fact it should be doing so by default)?

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
T
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
T
hmm small update on the win2k compatiblity mode for mirc under windows XP 64Bit Edition, it appears to run it somewhat more stable, but i've still experienced a few mirc lockup/crashes :\

usually mirc locks up when trying to retrieve channel modes or go into mirc user options.. but it doesn't always error when running under win2k compatiblity mode.

M
M
I just upgraded to 6.15, and I'm still having the exact same problem. Chatzilla continues to work with no problems (other than just being Chatzilla).

Link Copied to Clipboard