#58040 28/10/03 12:26 AM
R
ruspj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
can anyone please help
ive had this problem ever since i started using mirc ( about 18 months ago )
does anyone know what would cause my computer to crash when i download through mirc at close to my top speed ( top speed 1mb / 128mB )anything over 80-90 mB crashes me ?
when it crashes everything freezes for about 20 secconds and then works fine for about 5 then freezes again
i can download perfectly fine from websites etc at full speed
i was told that it could be a memory problem so i tried a tool called mem-turbo which helped
today i upgraded from 512mb to 1024 mb thinking that it would fix my problem
but it seems worse and now sometimes when it crashes the computer reboots and looses all of my mirc settings and i have to set it back up/reinstall
its the same with a new install of xp ( before & after updates )
ive had this same problem with all of the older versions not just the latest one
confused
processor 2.5ghz p4
memory 512mb now 1gB ( ddr 333mhz )
hdd 120+80+80+60 gB
os windows xp
graphics 64 mB ati radeon 7500
internet cable 1mb download 265mb upload
netgear 10/100 + motorola cable modem
32speed cdrw
dvd player speed unknown
ultra ata/100 ide raid card

any ideas anyone please ? frown

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
there is an option that causes winxp to reboot on an error, system properties/advanced, Startup & Recovery, click on the settings button for this, and then in the new box that opens up uncheck "Automatically Reset", that may stop the rebooting so you can see the error. i suspect its 10053, software causes connection abort, see this thread

speed patches have also bee reported to cause BSOD if you are using any of them

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
R
ruspj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
thanx for the help but when i read your reply i realised that i didnt explain my problem clearly

downloading over 80-90 kB/s using mirc crashes windows not mirc

when downloads crash my computer even with the new ram it only occasionaly reboots itself

usualy everything apears to be running fine in the few secconds that it's working with no error messages ( from mirc or windows )

the download slows right down then i disconnect and completeley loose my internet connection until i reboot

even if i close mirc and unplug my modem windows stays crashed ( 20 secconds froden 5 secconds working ) until i reboot

could this still be a 10053, or is it something completely different?

i also have 2 case fans fitted that i was told might help but they dont help

i fitted the 120 gb hdd thinking it would fix the problem

i have the same problem with only the 120gb hdd fitted ( no raid card/no other hdd's/no cdrw or dvd player )

i dont know what else to try

Last edited by ruspj; 28/10/03 10:11 PM.
S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
hi i have the same exact problem you have i dont kno what to do either...every time i download a file when it hits around over 90 kbps everything freezes for like 10 secs and unfreezes and then freezes again...so im left to restart the computer..but when i download from a website its perfectly fine?..im running mirc 6.12 and windows xp home sp1...does anyone know a solution to this?

B
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
B
Has anyone found a fix for this?....I have the EXACT same problem as the two above have described.

Starts downloading, then @ 80kbs about, my actual internet conenction and whole PC freeze...then 10 seconds it will unfreeze, but i lose all my internet connections, and then 10 more seconds it will freeze again...by freeze i mean, can't even move mouse...then it will unfreeze...repeatedly, until i phyically reboot my computer....

This has really been bothering me, and sucks becuase I can't get DCC's if anyone has a solution to this, please let me know.

S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
Can Someone Please help us!!! I am having the exact same problem as these guys. Everythings installed, everythings updated. Running all the latest, but still freeze, unfreeze, freeze, unfreeze. Until I reset or the thing just decides to crash. Same thing happens when I use VIRC. I've searched the web for answers. Everyone keeps saying that version 6.12 should fix the crashing problems...NOT SO!
I can't get any large file DCC's. What's goin on???

Using:
Xp Pro SP1 installed
AMD Athlon XP 1800
1 GB DDR Ram
ATI All-In-Wonder 8500DV
MIRC 6.12

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
are any of you using one of the "speed patches" that are supposed to increase your download speed? they have been known to cause what you describe.

also possible is that
-its on the senders end, and they are limiting their sends or doing too many at once.
-provider may be limiting things to control bandwidth hogging
-if any of you are using win98, there is a vcache problem that can also create probs with large files
-using any addons for filesharing? problem could be within that

Altho i hate to say it yet again, mIRC wasnt designed as a filesharing program, you may wish to consider using another means of getting a legal file from your friends.

S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
No. I am not using any addons or patches. Just MIRC 6.12. Downloaded yesterday from their site. I haven't changed any of the major settings. Smaller downloads up to about 70- 100MB seem to work fine. But larger downloads make the system crash within just a few mb of downloading. I doubt if the problem is on the operators side, though, because I have experienced this problem numerous times, on numerous servers. Could there be a patch, addon, or update that I should consider may fix the problem???

Everyone who has posted says they're running xp. Is there anyone who has xp and is not having this problem??? If so, are there any special patches, addons or fixes that you have run??? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
see the thread i mentioned earlier about 10053, that seems to effect xp users more than others and details things others have tried. another poss is some limitation set at your isp to limit bandwidth useage

R
ruspj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
i replaced my computer last week to

amd atlon xp 3.200+ ( 64 bit )
msi k8t neo ( motherboard )
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...ail.php?UID=496
msi 128 mb fx5600 ultra ( nvidia gforce ( graphics ))
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga...ail.php?UID=480
1 gig ddr 400 ( ram )
120 gb serial ata 150( hard drive )
350 watt antec power supply
windows xp pro
internet cable 1mb download 265kb upload ( same isp same connection )

now instead of crashing and freezing i completely loose my connection and still have to reboot to reconnect

could this still be the same problem ( isp or modem ) or a completely different problem?

i've contacted my isp who are not prepared to offer any support accept to say that my connection's fine and if i dont want my computer to crash/loose its connection then i simply shouldnt use mirc

W
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
W
I have a similar problem. I am using Win2000. I won't get into firewalls/routers and such because I believe it is a software problem. Additionally, I haven't had a problem until I installed mIRC 6.12. The problem occurs when downloading a file using DCC. If the speeds are fast (such as maxing out the line) and the download finishes, I notice my HD spin up, any open applications get locked up and I end up having to forcefully reboot. I am thinking of going back to the previous version of mIRC I was using before. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
I was wondering if anyone had this problem while using any other irc clients. This could point the problem directly to the modem or isp. I experience the exact same thing using VIRC. Similarly, I experienced it on another client. Memory fails because I have tried most any client I could scrounge up. But most of them are too hard to configure, not functional, or just a plain headache. I WANT MIRC to just work!
Is there anyone who has had this problem on one client, but not another?

Q
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Q
I'm also having this problem - when I hit around 80-90K/s, mIRC causes Windows to freeze up and hang for around 10 seconds. I can't move the mouse or do anything. Then 10 seconds or so later, everything is back to normal. This goes on until I reboot - closing mIRC doesn't fix it.

I also tried using Trillian as an IRC client, and the exact same thing happened. So I'm thinking it's a more low-level problem, like network card drivers. Any help would be really really appreciated, because this problem is very frustrating.

EDIT: Maybe a temporary solution would be to throttle the download speed to a level where it doesn't freeze. I don't know of any apps that can do this, but I bet they exist. After all, it's better to have the file downloaded at a slower speed than not have it at all.

Last edited by Qube909; 25/03/04 10:58 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This seems to be more and more related to Windows rather than mIRC, may I suggest going to the Microsoft Support site and using the various methods to get help. I recommend the 'Contact Microsoft' and 'Microsoft Public Newsgroup' options.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard