Print Thread
#52449 04/10/03 04:12 AM
V
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
V
anyone hir wants 2 be my friend???? <personal info deleted>

Last edited by ParaBrat; 06/10/03 05:19 PM.
#52450 06/10/03 12:03 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
Hi ok I will be your frend... I am a biginer two... BY laugh

Hi and BY
#52451 06/10/03 12:43 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
mIRC doesn't come pre-loaded with friends, therefore the fact you don't have one isn't a bug. :tongue:

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#52452 06/10/03 05:18 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
VhEcOvivi and stauber:
Welcome to mIRC's message board. This is a place for people to discuss issues related to mIRC, and to ask questions and get help about how to use it. It isnt a place to find friends or chat. It is also very unsafe to post personal information about yourselves like your real name, location, age, phone number either here or online.

The best thing to do is join different networks and channels. It may take a little while to find places where you like to chat and can make new friends. When you join a channel, read the topic and just watch for a while until you see the rules and how people act. If the people seem nice and friendly, join in the chat. Dont use all CAPITOL LETTERS as that is considered shouting and rude. Many channels have rules they send you when you join, like asking you to not use colors. If everyone is speaking a language you dont, understand that they may not understand a different language and try to find a channel that speaks the one you do. Some channels are help only, and dont allow chatting. Some only chat about certain subjects.

When connected you can get a list of channels about a certain topic. In any window type: /list *put the subject here*, like:
/list *malay*
/list *chat*
/list *newbie*
and you will see a list of channels open in another window that you can join and see what they are about.

CLick on the links to the left side here "Intro to IRC" and "IRC FAQ" to learn more about chatting and have fun smile

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#52453 06/10/03 07:20 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Quote:
It is also very unsafe to post personal information about yourselves like your real name, location, age, phone number

just out of curiosity, if age,name and email address are so dangerous why does it give that option for profiles confused
i can understand why phone number and location is dangerous;]

new username: tidy_trax
#52454 06/10/03 09:16 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Personally i dont like the option of giving that info any place, but thats just my opinion. In general, older more experienced users are aware of the problems it could cause by revealing that info on the web or online, but younger or inexperienced users may not be. While it may not be my place to do so, i do feel some degree of responsibility to warn the younger or inexperienced users when i see something that has even a small potential of placing them in harms way. No offense to anyone who posts here, but consider the possiblities. With an age, some email addies, and full names, it wouldnt take long for a predator to find someone. I dont mean to imply anyone here would do so, but note that i was also discussing going into chat channels where the potential for danger is much higher. IRC has given me many wonderful friends, but its no different from IRL: there are nice ppl, not so nice ppl, and dirtbags.

example:
i'm joe,12, my email addy is joewilson@eastovershoe.net and i wanna be friends
sicko: hrm, i know there is an eastovershoe in ____, lets see what schools they have that 12 year olds go to. oh nice, a website that talks about a baseball game they just had. oooh, looky, they even have a lil yearbook with pics and names. and how handy, online phone book

hopefully bots arent roaming thru profiles in search of info like they do open forums, but i feel its only right to warn someone of the potential problems, and edit personal info out of posts. Then i know they are aware of it, and the choice about putting that info in profiles, open forum or online is theirs, but i know its then a somewhat educated decision.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#52455 06/10/03 09:27 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
never thought of it that way.
i mean like:
full name: <insert first name> <leave second name blank>
email: <leave blank>
phone number: <always leave blank>

i dont think that could be too dangerous.

new username: tidy_trax
#52456 06/10/03 10:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The less specific information you provide, the better.

I'll only post things like my last name or town in closed forums where I know everybody who has access to my profile.

It's entirely easy to get someone's street address and phone number with very little information. There are many online resources that will give you the possible areacodes for a state, town, county or even street name.

Every K-12 school is publicly listed by county (you can type in the school and get the county or visa-versa), so if you told me you went to Folkman High I could narrow down where you live to 10 possible cities. With your last name, I could look up your phone number and exact street address knowing only the general area you live in. Even your hostname often reveals what city you live in, meaning all that's needed is a last name. It's really quiet effortless to piece fragments of information together.

It's just good advice to limit the information you disclose publicly. This doesn't mean you have to fake your identity or lie about yourself (though it's sometimes useful), just be constantly aware that strangers can overhear and puzzle together each vague detail you give about yourself.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#52457 21/10/03 08:10 AM
M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M
hiyas VhecOvivi!

well, making friends in IRC ain't really hard, all you have to do is be nice to whom you are chatting with, and voila! you'll have friends in no time.

lemme give you a hint: why not try to be inclined with the chatters interests first instead of bragging him/her for personal informations. well, some chatters are quite annoyed with the ASL thing (age, sex, location)...

it's not like the both of you would be friends already if you obtained such information. why not talk about casual things. when the both of you are having a great chat, well, i guess that it could come later.

i hope that you would enjoy IRC as much as i do!

MaLLoWs :tongue:

Link Copied to Clipboard