mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
PaulG Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
Ever since I have updated my mirc to 6.03 and leave it running, my computer will restart by itself after a while. I know that any program could cause this but it seems to only happen when I have mirc open. I downloaded the update from a site linked on mirc.com so it shouldn't be a virus. I have downloaded another irc client and left it running and I have no problems at all. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and knew a way to fix it. I am running windows xp and I can give you more details if you need them. I could downgrade to 6.02 but I wanna make sure that this is fixed in later versions IF it is mirc causing the problem.

P
PaulG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'd also like to add that my friend's computer reset 3 times after he had updated to 6.03. He's running windows xp also.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
im running xp and i have had no problem running mirc consistantly...i am running 6.03 could it be possible that its something other than mirc on your PC?

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
Many folks in EFnet #mIRC run v6.03 & Win XP without complaints. Maybe we can tack this down a little bit more. Is it possible for you to run mIRC only .. say over night or for an extended period of time to see if anything else is causing it ? Also, might want to check your windows start up section, and ctrl + Alt + delete to be sure you know what's running on your machine.

I know you said this is a new copy of mIRC, from mIRC.com, but you might consider getting/running a virus detection program. Just to be absolutely sure.

P
PaulG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I do have mcafee and I may try running it overnight tonight like you said. I'll post what happens tommorow. Thanks.

P
PaulG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Well I tried leaving it on overnight and it restarted. The only thing I had running with it was mcafee which I always have running. When I check my processes, I don't see any unusual programs. All of it seems to just be windows things.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I know this may sound like a dumb question but is it possible that mcaffee may be restarting your computer?

P
PaulG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Well probably not since I've been running it all the time for quite a while and it never restarted. It's only started doing this since I've upgraded mirc to 6.03. I guess maybe mcafee could be causing a conflict or something with it. I might try turning off mcafee completely and running mirc all night to see if it does it again.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
i dont run mcaffe....or norton but yeah run without mcafee an see where that gets ya...

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
I run McAfee Virus Scan on line, I'm on line 24/7. Have never been rebooted.

How about a power situation? Brown out or a plain loss of power for even a moment ? When it restarts, do you get the scan disk utility that runs ? or is it a straight out reboot type of thing?

P
PaulG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
When it restarts it doesnt pop up scandisk at all.

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
In your winXP control panel > system > advanced > startup & recovery setings > under the system failure section, you will see an option for "Automatically Restart"
If you have that checked, any windows sys crash will execute an Auto Restart
If you dont want that, uncheck the option
As for why its crashing in the first place, you'll have to review your windows events logs

Y
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Y
I have the same problem too. Does anyone have any suggestions for it? I use Norton anti-virus and my pc only restarts when i run mirc 6.03

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
if ur using Windows XP and u have the ntfs file system ur pc will NOT automatically run a scan disk ....... its not always needed ...... and i would start checkin into seein if ur power supply is in need of replacing cause i have had that same problem and a couple months later my pc started not even booting ...... replaced a power supply and problem solved ...... altho this might be a random occurance on my part but hey its just a suggestion

D3m0nnet.com

Link Copied to Clipboard