mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
klez Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Sometimes i can see a file mircN.tm_ (where N is a 6-digits number) that i delete it manually. Perhaps is a temporarily file that is used by mIRC but is not deleted in time by mIRC. I put an eye on it and i saw that many times this file is created and not deleted when mIRC exits.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have never noticed these. Have you examined all of your scripts?

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
klez Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
I'm a scripter and my scripts are made fully by me. I don't have any issues using *.tm_ files. For example, make an alias using an infinite loop using in this loop read/write operation to a file and you'll see that in $mircdir during this loop is created a file mircN.tm_ and deleted.

P.S. This file is empty smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What you call .tm_ files are not by any means a standard extension. I have never had a .tm_ file on my harddrive. This is a file of your own creation (and deletion).

Edit: This comment is based on the premise of this statement, "I don't have any issues using *.tm_ files." Suggesting to me that you play with creating these files often, so they might be the result of a rogue script. I'm not being exactly dismissive here.

Last edited by Raccoon; 25/06/17 01:42 PM.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
No it isn't, I have it as well. Don't be so dismissive.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
.tm_ are temporary filenames used by mIRC. See versions.txt for 7.46

7.Added $tempfn identifier that returns temporary filename located in
mIRC folder using same method that mIRC uses internally.

That's not in the /help yet, and is a little ambiguous, in that it just creates the string for what would be a temporarily 'safe' filename, and doesn't actually create the disk file.

When you /write to a file, mIRC uses a .tm_ as the temporary filename where it creates the altered file before deleting the original then renaming the .tm_ back to the original filename.

If you're seeing a .tm_ file, then either you have a script that's creating them using $tempfn or it's a leftover from a failed /write, /writeini, write to logfile, etc. If it's a remnant of a failed mIRC disk write, the file it should have been writing to is likely either missing or has no contents prior to the timestamp on that file.

klez Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Quote:
This is a file of your own creation (and deletion). ..
so they might be the result of a rogue script

I think that you're still a n00b in mIRC smile If you think that you know scripting and if you think that i don't know what i have in my scripts, than i say good bye to you, no offence!

klez Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Originally Posted By: maroon
If you're seeing a .tm_ file, then either you have a script that's creating them using $tempfn or it's a leftover from a failed /write, /writeini, write to logfile, etc. If it's a remnant of a failed mIRC disk write, the file it should have been writing to is likely either missing or has no contents prior to the timestamp on that file.

I'm in view that it's a leftover from a failed /write, /writeini, write to logfile, because it appears after i exit mIRC sometimes.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
I'm in view that it's a leftover from a failed /write, /writeini, write to logfile, because it appears after i exit mIRC sometimes.

It is probably not due to a failed write - in any situation where mIRC fails to write to a temporary file, it deletes it without affecting the existing files. The only situation I can think of where the temporary file would be left behind is if it has been locked by another application, such as anti-virus software, preventing mIRC from renaming/deleting it. In such a situation, there is nothing mIRC can do, other than freezing indefinitely and repeatedly trying to rename/delete the file in the hope that it might become available at some point, which is not practical unfortunately.

P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
mIRC should at least try to delete these files at start-up.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Protopia
mIRC should at least try to delete these files at start-up.

That opens up a slippery slope bag of worms. For starters, they might belong to a different second instance of mIRC. Or they might be purpose created by a script for cross-session OnExit/OnStart use, via $tempfn identifier. If mIRC is going to start deleting them willy nilly, then we must eliminate $tempfn from public use.

B
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
B
I discovered these ".tm_" files today in mIRC's folder on the computer of a non tech-savvy user, while updating their mIRC. I never saw these files before, ever. There were like about 60 of these files over the course of a few months, looking at the date modified column. Some were a few KB big, but most were empty (0 bytes). A quick look inside the ones that had data in them revealed that they had mirc.ini config stuff in them. A Google Search led me here to this topic as I had no idea where this was coming from, other than suspecting some software on their computer that's causing this (because they have no scripts that write to files, only a few aliases and a small snippet that does some /CAP stuff). I ended up cleaning up (deleting) these files. No idea what software on their computer causes it, though.

Link Copied to Clipboard