mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
HMike Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
I apologise if this is the wrong forum to bother people with this seeing as it's not a probably a problem caused by mIRC itself, but I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and while most things have come over OK, for some reason internet links posted on mIRC chat no longer open in Firefox (or any of my other browsers). I can still right click the links posted and the options to Open Link and Open Link in New Window come up, just that nothing happens when I click them.

This is not a major issue but it's surprising how annoying it can get. I assume it's due to something preventing mIRC from controlling the browsers, the antivirus and firewall programs being the usual culprits. Thus, to test this I briefly disabled both (Avira and COMODO, respectively) of them and tried opening a link. This didn't help. I also tried giving mIRC full privileges.

What does fix it is running mIRC in admin mode, but I'd rather not do that, seeing as it's a minor security threat, causes a pop-up every time I run the application and just isn't otherwise necessary.

So I suppose my question is if there some way to tell Windows 10 to play nice with mIRC and let it open links as normal without giving the latter admin rights? Or perhaps there's some other workaround for the problem?

Last edited by HMike; 31/07/16 08:24 PM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Try setting firefox as the default program/browser in Windows settings

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
H
HMike Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
Thanks for the tip, that seems like the simple kind of mistake I might make smile
Double checked and Firefox is already the default browser.

Seeing as it's a solution, if not a perfect one, I've just started running mIRC as admin, so I can at least open the links now. You can consider the problem solved.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Which version of mIRC are you using?

R
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
R
I'm also experiencing the same issue.

If I set Internet Explorer as the default browser, mIRC opens links without issues.

However, if I set Firefox back to the default browser, mIRC does not open links.

Firefox v49.0.2
mIRC 7.46

Thank you.

Last edited by Rami; 11/11/16 08:54 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I tested this under Windows 10 and it worked correctly for me, whichever browser I set as default. How are you setting Firefox as the default browser? You will need to set it using the Windows/Settings/System/Default apps window, which is how Windows 10 sets default apps. You cannot change the setting from within Firefox.

R
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
R
If I launch Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Programs > and click on "Make Internet Explorer the default browser", it takes me to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs". From there, I can select Firefox and then "Set this program as default".

But in any case, even going to Start > Settings > System > Default apps > Web browser > and selecting Firefox still exhibits the unexpected behavior.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you install mIRC again, using the installer from the mIRC website, do you still see the same issue?

Also, if you try opening links from inside other applications, do they open the correct browser?

R
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
R
Thank you.

Re-installing mIRC fixed the issue; I didn't have to uninstall it beforehand.

Other programs like Word were previously able to open links without issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard