mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Show a tool tip "Copied." for a few seconds after selecting a bit of text from a chat buffer.

[14:12] <DYNamo057> how can I select something from chat so I can copy/paste
[14:25] <+Raccoon> mIRC performs auto-copy on a selected bit of text from the chat buffer.
[14:25] <+Raccoon> It's sort of a traditional behavior of terminal clients that found its way into desktop window clients.
[14:27] <DYNamo057> oh, I didn't realize it was automatic.
[14:27] <+Raccoon> Indeed. It's a common confusion. I might just ask the author of mIRC to pop a little "Copied." tip bubble when somebody selects a bit of text.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
N
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
N
I first started using mIRC in 2006 and have been going on and off until now. I have never once realized this and have always pressed ctrl + c before letting go of a text...

Nillens @ irc.twitch.tv
Nillen @ irc.rizon.net
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Aye. It's quite a frequent question actually... one I addressed a few times in the past couple days. Someone also asked the same of AdiIRC and I made this suggestion to that dev as well. I hope both clients add this feature of UI feedback to the user.

It seems the people confused the most are those who expect the selected text to remain selected, so they can right-click it and select copy. If in this motion the client said "Copied." in a tooltip next to the mouse cursor, they would quickly understand what's going on.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Imo that tooltip would be annoying to most users.
People are not confused by the way it works but, eventually, because they don't know the way it work yet, that's a very big nuance to me, any sane new user will end up asking somewhere how to copy text and once told, they won't need this tooltip anymore and they will likely find it annoying.
If anything this tooltip must have a "don't show this next time".

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Personally, I'm running an AutoHotkey script that shows "Copied. xxx bytes. yyy lines." or files or image resolution. For every clipboard operation.

I like it. Never considered it obnoxious.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Sure, but what people personally do isn't really relevant here, suggestions are added because they work for a large amount of people, not for a single person.
I don't see anyone saying he would like that feature and that goes toward my idea that most people would not actually like this.
Now, if it can be disabled, I don't mind it being added.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard