#249342 25/11/14 12:59 PM
O
oic Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
O
Hi,

I'm new and everything IRCwise works except I have no location privacy unless using IRCcloud. I know I'm in the MIRC forums and I want to use Mirc but as I understand it SASL and SSL just cant help me out unless someone at Freenode blesses me with a cloak to hide my IP. I've tried.

I hope that perhaps here I may have better luck than asking numerous times at #freenode where I've experienced silence, in-speak and evasiveness. I'm so surprised its not standardised a process.

Unaffiliated cloaks seem standard fare and to staff not servicing them proactively there seems remiss to helping newbs who are the most vulnerable and wont get to Tor'ing for a while yet.

Thanks

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
So what do you expect coming here?

O
oic Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
O
If there were any guidance that anyone had to offer to me getting a cloak at Freenode so that I might use Mirc again instead of IRCcloud then I'd be grateful.

Loki12583, I expected (and probably not unreasonably) that whatever experience of mine I place here related as a paid Mirc interested user could find an audience of reasonable generosity and not silence. So far so good, so thank you on that.

I also expected (and probably not impractically) that there might be on overlap between what would be a Freenode staffer and a user of this forum to assist. Or at the least Freenode users that might have any lead I could follow based on their own experiences.

I'd like to use Mirc safely really is all and I expect users here might know how to expedite a quite obvious thing like cloaks.

Thanks

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
mIRC is an IRC client, Freenode is an IRC server, there is not a single thing mIRC can do for you regarding the usage of the Freenode IRC server, that's like asking the Firefox's team to enhance your experience when browsing the mirc.com http server.

If you are concerned with sensitive informations such as your Ip address, then a cloak isn't going to change anything, your IP address is known to the server whenever you connect to it (the cloak being applied after), so either you want to use Tor to hide your IP, or you don't want to connect to freenode at all (or any IRC server anyway).

There is nothing mIRC or this forum can do, you need to find an helping channel on freenode and ask there.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Although freenode may be a popular network mIRC is not affiliated with any of them, you'll just have to wait in #freenode for someone to give you a cloak.

Other options for hiding your IP include running through a proxy or irc bouncer such as znc (there are server costs associated with these).

Link Copied to Clipboard