Print Thread
#244717 23/03/14 09:57 AM
D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
mIRC stopped working on this computer, and no matter what I try every attempt to connect results in "status: not connected". mIRC is working fine on a different computer, same internet connect, and same startup script/channels. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've removed the startup script, I've downloaded a newer version (7.1), but the problem is the same. Something is keeping mIRC from connecting.

I don't have a firewall (except in the router that supplies the other computer where mIRC works fine). There is no antivirus running in the background.

Basically, when I hit the connect button, nothing happens...there is no obvious response from the program. I've tried a lot of different servers/channels, but I don't think the program is even attempting to connect.

I'd appreciate some troubleshooting tips related to what I've already described.

Thanks...Dan

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You should first make sure that you are using the latest version of mIRC v7.32 from the official mIRC website at http://www.mirc.com. If you are using an older version of mIRC that you have downloaded from another website which has modified the mIRC executable or any of the standard installation files, that could very well be the reason for the issue you are seeing. If you install mIRC v7.32 using the "portable" option in the installer to a new, empty folder in your "documents" folder, do you still see the same issue?

D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
I've tried v7.32, installed as portable, downloaded from mIRC.com, also v7.1, and v6.35. Exact same problem with each one. Is there a error log file somewhere that might give us a clue as to what's occurring?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC logs all connection errors to the status.log file. However, if you are clicking the connect button and nothing is happening at all, ie. no "connecting" or "could not connect" message is displayed in the status window, the log file will be empty.

When you click the connect button in mIRC, do you see any messages at all in the status window? Does it say that it is attempting to connect to the IRC server? If it does not, and if you are sure that you installed a clean copy of mIRC into a new, empty folder using the "portable" option in the installer, and the issue is still happening, type the following command into the status window and press the enter key:

/server irc.efnet.org

Does mIRC connect to the server?

D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
I tried pasting the command into the slot at the bottom of the status window. When I hit ENTER the mIRC Options window popped up, with Efnet:Random Server set as the server. I clicked on Connect and nothing happened. I hit OK and the mIRC Options window disappeared, only the Status window was left. In the Status window header was the text: Status: not connect (Efnet, irc.efnet.org).

BTW, when I start up mIRC, without me doing anything else, the Status window header already has the text: Status: not connected (Efnet, irc.efnet.org).

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This may mean that you have not filled in your details, such as your nickname, in the Options/Connect dialog. If you fill in your Options/Connect details and then try to connect to a server, does it work?

D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
You were right, and that's all it was. I thought that a nickname, full name, etc...was optional. Now I know better. It's working normally now.

Thanks for the help.

Link Copied to Clipboard