mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
My friend runs an IRC server using InsplRCd and no one has had connectivity problems besides the usual.
I have been on this server for a few years now without no issue.
I was on chatting with friends then suddenly realized no one was seeing the text I was posting (almost like a shun) so I closed my client and reopened it only to find it gave me this error...

Looking up irc.xxxxx.org
Connecting to irc.xxxxx.org (xx.xx.xxx.xxx) port 6697...
Connected. Now logging in...
Looking up your hostname...
Found your hostname (myhostnameHere.net) -- cached
{normally connects, instead I get long pause}
Closing link: (unknown@myhostnameHere.net) [Registration timeout]
Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).

Everyone else logging on to the irc server has not had this problem.
The irc admin is completely clueless why this is happening to me.

I had not changed my router settings or client settings. This literally just happened out of the blue.

I tried mIRC, xchat and chatzilla, on two different computers and all of those give me that same exact error when trying to connect. Mibbit would connect but no one was able to see my text and most commands wouldn't work like /msg, /nick and so on.

I am able to connect to all other IRC servers without any problem which leads me to believe it's his server being problematic.

Here are all the things I tried so far..
Reset router
setup IDENT and access to port 113 just in case..
ran tcptraceroute on irc.xxxxx.org 6697, nothing blocking me
checked router ports, all proper ones are open

Other things have been tried to no avail. It has to be his server somehow blocking me? We're both stumped.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate any ideas.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Problem at your ISP? Did you try disable your antivirus and firewall? Also make a traserout to the server, then you maybe see where the problem are. If you have high ping to one connection on the way, then the problem can be there.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
D
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
D
Originally Posted By: sparta
Problem at your ISP? Did you try disable your antivirus and firewall? Also make a traserout to the server, then you maybe see where the problem are. If you have high ping to one connection on the way, then the problem can be there.

Not using any antivirus software. Already said I tried running tcptraceroute (via linux) through port 6697 and it completed the path to the irc server without problem. Hardware firewall turned off, software firewall also off to make sure.
The irc server is on SSL port 6697. I also tried port 9999 which is allowed and worked but it didn't help.

My ISP is fine. I don't believe it's blocking access at any point. I think my friends server is somehow blocking my IP or not resolving it? No person banned or shunned me.

Like I said his server stopped working for me suddenly and without warning. I didn't change any settings when it happened and before that I was chatting fine for well over a year on said server.
I am the only one experiencing the problem, everyone else connects fine crazy

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Access point maybe not blocked, but if it takes to long time to connect it times out, slow connection maybe cosing this, it can be a problem at your ISP and they maybe working on it. If you try connect to the IP to the server? If you dont use SSL, can you connect to the server? I guess you can connect to it without SSL?

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }

Link Copied to Clipboard