mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Greetings fellow mIRC users.

Yesterday, I attempted to migrate mIRC 7.22 from one of my machines running XP SP3 32-bit to a machine running Windows 7 64-bit. On the new machine, I ran the installer, and mIRC was installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\ as expected.

Subsequently, I moved all of my scripts, .ini files, (including mirc.ini) and logs to that same program directory. That was my first mistake, as that directory is system-monitored in Windows 7.

Nevertheless, I ran mIRC, and it performed beautifully, and loaded all of the .ini files, script files, and channel logs.

Then I enabled User Account Control. That's when bad things started to occur. With UAC enabled, mIRC was essentially cut off from the .ini files in that directory. When I attempted to run it, it came up with a default, first-run configuration. After turning UAC off, things returned to normal.

As such, it just seems to me like I need to relocate the .ini files, scripts, and logs to some other application data directory. My question is.. does mIRC have a preference for where this data is to be located? I may have been able to find it if I'd had the time to look around last night. Now, I won't have access to that machine again until this evening.

I have administrator rights on the new machine.

Has anyone run into this issue, and what was your solution?

Regards.

Thomas

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
if you have mirc be in a folder beneath c:\program files\ you'll need to leave your .ini's where the installer put them, in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mIRC

mirc will run perfectly fine if you move the whole contents of your current mirc folder beneath program files over to somewhere else like c:\mirc\ or c:\MyApps\mirc\ if you want to keep mirc.ini and mirc.exe in the same folder, as long as your mirc.ini and other ini's mention paths only as being relative to the mirc folder itself. i.e. referring to your sound folder as =sounds\ and not c:\path\path\mirc\sounds\

S
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Originally Posted By: maroon
if you have mirc be in a folder beneath c:\program files\ you'll need to leave your .ini's where the installer put them, in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mIRC

This is exactly the information I was looking for. I didn't have time to look at it last night, but at least now I'll know where to look the next time I'm working on the issue.

Thanks much for the response.

Regards,

Thomas

S
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Cool! That was too easy. Ten minute job. All I had to do was move a bunch of files and folders, then reset some paths from within mIRC. No more issues with UAC. The code is still in C:\Program Files (x86)\mirc\, and the user data is now where it belongs.

Thanks!

Thomas

Link Copied to Clipboard