mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
So we've been working on a community site for an online game and have recently created an irc channel for it. We've gotten quite a few active members ever since and everything's been going rather well. However, a channel operator position is meant for each staff member and this is where I've ran into a little problem.
As you probably have already realised by now, I'm a complete and utter newbie concerning IRC and any kind of clients it has, so I hope this doesn't turn out too stupid... Anyways, here goes :

I've used these commands to register and auth my nickname:

/msg Q HELLO email@addresse email@addresse

/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH username password

After launching the mIRC client I use /auth user psw for auth.

Now, whenever I'm marked as an operator, the status lasts until I'm logged in. If I restart the client/disconnect, re-auth and join the channel, the op position is lost. Others don't seem to have this kind of problems, which makes me wonder why it's happening to me.
Unfortunately the guy who created the channel isn't too experienced in this field either, so I turn to you, mIRC forum users smile.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Korrrrupt.

Last edited by Korrrrupt; 12/04/11 07:29 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Without knowing the network and what exactly the channel services are on that network, I can't be too specific. But, in general, you have 2 different services. The first is handles nicks. You register your nick and log into it when you connect. This lets you keep others from using the nick. That is what you are doing with Q. The other service is the channel service. This service controls who gets automatic op status as well as other things like automatically kicking people or voicing them. To change who gets the op status, the channel service needs to be updated. This would be done using a /msg command or a specific command followed by what you want done. For example, you showed how to register and authorize yourself using /msg and also using /auth as a separate command. A similar thing would be done to set up who gets automatically opped.

Now, if you are getting automatically opped while not logged in, but losing it when logged in, then that means that logging in changes your host info. In some networks, being logged in will change something like mynick!ident@myhost.com to mynick!ident@users.undernet.org (for Undernet). Most likely, your real host information is entered for automatic ops, but not your logged in "host".

In general, any kind of questions regarding the network's services can be answered more quickly and accurately by joining #help or whatever channel the network uses for help. Often, a question can be answered in a few minutes there rather than potentially hours here. And they already know what services they use, while we probably will not.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
K
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Without knowing the network and what exactly the channel services are on that network, I can't be too specific. But, in general, you have 2 different services. The first is handles nicks. You register your nick and log into it when you connect. This lets you keep others from using the nick. That is what you are doing with Q. The other service is the channel service. This service controls who gets automatic op status as well as other things like automatically kicking people or voicing them. To change who gets the op status, the channel service needs to be updated. This would be done using a /msg command or a specific command followed by what you want done. For example, you showed how to register and authorize yourself using /msg and also using /auth as a separate command. A similar thing would be done to set up who gets automatically opped.

The channel's in quakenet, if that's what you mean by network.
Did I understand correctly, that a current operator has to use a /msg command to set the op status? What kinds of alternatives are there besides the /msg commands (to set ops)? What kind of /msg commands can be used to do this?
Tried the /msg auth command instead of the /auth one and they seem to be serving the same purpose, as it says I've already been authed when trying the /msg command after using the /auth one.

Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Now, if you are getting automatically opped while not logged in, but losing it when logged in, then that means that logging in changes your host info. In some networks, being logged in will change something like mynick!ident@myhost.com to mynick!ident@users.undernet.org (for Undernet). Most likely, your real host information is entered for automatic ops, but not your logged in "host".

The thing is, I'm not getting automatically opped no matter how I join the channel. I've had other ops set op status to me and every time I close the client and open it again later on, the op status is gone and not automatically set. I don't think they've used other commands to set the other ops we have though, so it must have something to do with my registered account specifically.

ps. thanks for taking the time to reply smile.

Last edited by Korrrrupt; 12/04/11 08:00 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't check right now because I'm at work, but others might when they check the forum now that they have the network name. Your auth commands are the same, whether you use /msg or not. But if there are channel services, the commands are different than the ones handling your nick registration and authorization.

As for why others are opped automatically, is someone there opping them automatically, or is Q or some other Quakenet bot doing it? Any op in the channel can automatically op people who are supposed to be opped. Otherwise, you need to have the people set up in channel services. Either the others are being opped by other ops as you are or else they were set up in the channel services and you were not.

In the meantime while you wait for someone here who can connect and take a look (or who knows Quakenet services), you might want to check with the help channel like I mentioned. They'll probably be able to help you more quickly.

Invision Support
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
mIRC has a built-in auto op feature. You can find it via its address book under control tab, where you scroll it down to "Op" and then add people whom you wish to be opped when he or she joins. You can also borrow its $aop() identifier but not get the auto-op feature enabled to give them other modes instead of the default one +o. In other words, you use the dialog itself to store the idents (address) of the user and match it against the $aop() identifier upon entry using a scripted join event. This will mean you have to have your mIRC running at all times.

K
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
Originally Posted By: Tomao
mIRC has a built-in auto op feature. You can find it via its address book under control tab, where you scroll it down to "Op" and then add people whom you wish to be opped when he or she joins. You can also borrow its $aop() identifier but not get the auto-op feature enabled to give them other modes instead of the default one +o. In other words, you use the dialog itself to store the idents (address) of the user and match it against the $aop() identifier upon entry using a scripted join event. This will mean you have to have your mIRC running at all times.

Got an answer from #help. They told me to try and use /msg Q chanlev #channel user +ao . I'll try and get a hold of the channel creator and see if this works out. If it won't I'll try other ways.

Thank you for the help guys smile.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sounds like the right command. I've never used that network, so don't know the commands, but it's similar to the standard commands most other networks use, so it's probably what you need.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard