Print Thread
#226530 05/10/10 02:03 PM
P
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
P
Hey

I was wondering.. How do you change charset in mIRC these days. I know you could a while back but I cant find the answer on the internet or in the help file for mIRC. Does anyone know?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This has been discussed various times now. The term you are looking for is 'code pages'.
mIRC is now a unicode application. See this thread for an explanation.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: 5618
This has been discussed various times now. The term you are looking for is 'code pages'.
mIRC is now a unicode application. See this thread for an explanation.

So thats a no to support for codepages?. IMHO that sucks royally

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's no problem if other people use unicode too.

If it's a big problem for you then you should stick to v6.35

P
OP Offline
P
Problem is that im on a channel that strickly adheres to a codepage. So yes I could switch to 6.35. But that just returns a age old problem for me if i do that. THat problem being that mIRC 6.35 and all others before it cuts off your text if your messages are rather elaborate.

So in this case its a choice between two evils *sigh*

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Servers cut off your messages, not mIRC. mIRC 7.x just automatically splits your long messages. There are "cut scripts" out there that will do that for you in 6.35 and older.

As long as the server supports unicode channel names and nicks, a channel can very easily move to a unicode version of the channel and use unicode nicks. It doesn't take much to do and considering unicode is where everything is going these days and code page support is being dropped left and right, it's better to make the switch now before someone comes along and creates the unicode version of the channel name preventing you from getting it. If the server doesn't support unicode at all, then you're simply going to be stuck on 6.35 until you either choose another server or else the server makes the effort to support unicode. Unicode has been around for a very long time. At this point, there really isn't a good reason for anyone to not support it yet besides being lazy (talking about servers who don't support it and not the users who can't use it because it isn't supported by the server). I mean, in a decade, they can't manage to support it?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
OP Offline
P
I have tried various cut scripts over the years and they all seem to be limited in some form or another in that they only support messages up to a certain size. Ie that the creator of the script has not made strides to make sure his code worked regardless of the message size.

But as it presently stands I will keep mIRC 7 and then take whatever heat I might get for a wrong codepage.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Regarding certain sized messages, keep in mind that mIRC can only support a certain number of characters in the edit line, so there will always be some kind of limit. That limit may have been raised in 6.35 when limits on variables were also raised, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, it was just something to consider. Just trying to help.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
OP Offline
P
I know and its appreciated. Went with finding another client to run alonside mIRC, and then having to run two clients.

Link Copied to Clipboard