mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
H
Very new to mIRC - so far VERY disappointed in the un-intuitive interface. mad

I want to get to #drupal_support on irc.freenode.net. mIRC keeps jamming me into random servers I have no interest in... the constant bing-bing-bing is extremely annoying (what does it mean?)

Anyway - I simply cannot get or find a channel window or successfully join a channel by the dialog's that show up. As a result of my lack of near instant JOIN, I'm constantly being kicked from servers.

Could some kind soul tell me how to simply log to a server of my choice, join a channel and find the channel window to talk?

BTW - I'm NOT new to IRC - just this clunky program!!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can turn sounds off in your options (Alt-O > Sounds). To connect to a server:

/server irc.freenode.net

To join a channel:

/join #drupal_support

Note that these commands are used in all IRC clients. Some clients offer popups or do the commands automatically for you, but they all use the same commands because that is what IRC uses for these items. The popup when connecting that has a list of servers is just a suggestion of commonly used channels. You can disable it or else edit the list to only include channels you want.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
When mIRC first runs, it will display the Connect window, where you will need to enter your nickname and other details. If you want to connect to a specific IRC server or network, you will need to tell mIRC which one you want by selecting that server or network in the servers window. There are hundreds of IRC networks, so you will need to search through the servers list for the network that you want, click on it, and press the select button.

Once you have done that, you can click the Connect button. mIRC will then try to connect to that IRC network. Many IRC servers limit connections to them based on your geographical location, so mIRC keep trying to connect to a server on that network until it finds one that allows it to connect.

Once you are connected, the Favorites window will appear, where you can enter the channel name you want to join, and then click the Join button.

If you are still having difficulty, please email me at khaled@mirc.com.

Link Copied to Clipboard