F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
I keep getting this error message:

* Connecting to irc.solidirc.com (6667)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Permission denied)

I have added mIRC to my firewall exceptions list, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll supply any information that you need; just ask.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What firewall software are you using? Do you have any other security software installed (Norton/McAfee/etc.)? What make+model is your computer, and what OS is it running?

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Originally Posted By: Collective
What firewall software are you using? Do you have any other security software installed (Norton/McAfee/etc.)? What make+model is your computer, and what OS is it running?

Windows XP 32 bit,
Compaq Presario 061
System Model ER921AA-ABA SR1830NX NA660
Windows firewall is what my firewall program is called - I'm not sure if I need to be more specific.
I have AVG 8.0 currently installed, but I have ensured that it is not blocking anything either.

I think it's also worth mentioning that I have attempted to connect to the exact same server using a different client, and it worked.

Thank you for the relatively quick response.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Try disabling AVG entirely then check if mIRC can connect. If it can then there should be a way to specifically exempt mirc.exe from interference within AVG. mIRC tends to be the victim of interference from security software as it is used as part of the payload of many viruses (due to its combination of IRC connectivity, scripting capability and small size).

Only two other people have reported this "Permission Denied" error on the forums and if they ever found a solution they didn't share it, so I don't know what else to suggest.

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Originally Posted By: Collective
Try disabling AVG entirely then check if mIRC can connect. If it can then there should be a way to specifically exempt mirc.exe from interference within AVG. mIRC tends to be the victim of interference from security software as it is used as part of the payload of many viruses (due to its combination of IRC connectivity, scripting capability and small size).

Only two other people have reported this "Permission Denied" error on the forums and if they ever found a solution they didn't share it, so I don't know what else to suggest.

I'll try that now.

I searched the forums for mentions of this error, and there wasn't any mention of a solution. It's unfortunate, but I appreciate your efforts to help me.

Ninja edit: It worked! Thank you so much!

Last edited by Firestorm94; 07/02/10 02:28 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As you have determined that it is AVG that is stopping you from connecting, make sure that you have the latest updates.

I use AVG myself and have had no problems, but as I have all of the latest updates (or at least, as of about 45 minutes ago), that's all I can suggest while trying to maintain the security of your computer.

Link Copied to Clipboard