Print Thread
#211658 27/04/09 03:44 PM
T
telia Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
what community thinks about service that provides IRC offline messages? e.g. you connect to the channel and receives all messages you missed because of being offline, something like in instance messaging

telia #211662 27/04/09 06:51 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I think that it couldn't be implemented in any way that would make sense for an irc client/servers to work. The load would be incredible and if you REALLY need to see offline messages, run a bot or use an IM program. Personally, I think trying to turn mIRC into an IM client goes against what mirc is, an IRC client. There's differences between an IM program and IRC client and I think trying to meld the two isn't a good idea. Ages ago I made a posting explaiing the differences between the two, but it was lost in the fire and I dont remember where I grabbed the info from, so I wont repost it

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
telia #211663 27/04/09 07:07 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Some networks have this. It's called MemoServ, but it only activates on private messages. Logging channels would be insane, though there are many IRC logging projects out there on google. You can opt your channel into the service and have the logs available to all on the web.

edit: as I've just seen the topic from feature suggestions I think it's important to point out that none of the above solutions can be implemented by mIRC, these are all (and must all be) server-side solutions. For mIRC to know about what happens on a channel 24/7 it would need to be connected 24/7, defeating the purpose of "offline messages".

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #211895 04/05/09 05:02 AM
T
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
T
I've thought about collaborative logging efforts, it wouldn't be hard to do, but you really wouldn't want to use server chatter to do it.

As someone else pointed out, memoserv is something some networks offer, and for those that don't, it's extremely simple to code.

For example, the simple snippet my bot uses for memoserv:

Code:
on *:text:!memo*:?:{
  if ($comchan($2,0) != 0) {
    msg $nick $2 is actually online in $+($comchan($2,1),.)  Your memo will not be stored.
    halt
  }
  inc %memos 1
  writeini memos.ini Memo %memos $2 $+([,$timestamp,]): $nick : $3-
  msg $nick $2 will be given your message the next time I see them
  writeini memos.ini Index $2 $addtok($readini(Memos.ini,Index,$2),%memos,46)
}

That builds a silly little ini file that stores memos and an index of intended recipients and which memo is supposed to go to them. I'm sure there's much better ways, but that's what occured to me at the moment. Then there's a few lines of code in various events:

Code:
  if ($readini(Memos.ini,index,$nick) != $null) {
    msg $nick You have received messages while away.  (Timestamps are at -6 Central Time)
    var %memo.index = $readini(memos.ini,index,$nick)
    var %on.memo = 1
    var %tot.memo = $numtok(%memo.index,46)
    while (%on.memo <= %tot.memo) {
      msg $nick $readini(memos.ini,memo,$gettok(%memo.index,%on.memo,46))
      remini memos.ini memo $gettok(%memo.index,%on.memo,46)
      inc %on.memo
    }
    msg $nick End of memos.
    remini memos.ini index $nick
  }

Like I said, I'm sure there's better ways, but this is what occured to me at the time =P

Link Copied to Clipboard