Print Thread
#157563 26/08/06 06:18 AM
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Greetings,

I'm the author of IRCXpro (IRCX Server). One of your users has come to us because has been experiencing difficulties using a Unicode Chinese Nickname. (Ref: http://www.ircxpro.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1161 )

Your IRC Client does not enter IRCX until after logon which causes a problem if trying to signon using an IRCX extended nickname (Unicode, with ' prefix) because it does not enter IRCX mode until after logon (when it detects IRCX support in 005 numeric.)

If you do not wish to detect IRCX support as defined in the IRCX protocol draft, you could simply issue an /IRCX before logon details if someone is attempting to login with a ' prefixed nickname.

Another issue is the nickname field appears to not support multibytes and no option to UTF8 encode the nickname before sending (If ' Prefixed, it will need to)

Other tips:
For %# channels, always assume UTF8 encoding/decoding takes place.
For ' prefixed nicknames, always UTF8 decode them.

Regards,
SpyMaster

#157564 26/08/06 09:20 AM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Unfortunately for you, this means that your IRCd is going against the "Standards" defined by the RFC for IRC Protocol.

mIRC was written around the protocol. So the chances of this being added are pretty slim.

Can't say I don't support this, but it's not something 99.9% of mIRC users will ever need, afaik.

#157565 26/08/06 07:25 PM
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Our server product uses IRCX (Extensions to the Internet Relay Chat Protocol, copy of protocol at http://www.ircxpro.com/protocols/ircx.txt )

IRCX is backward compatible so it doesn’t go against the "Standards" defined in RFC1459. If an IRC client does not issue /IRCX, the communication and support is pure RFC1459.

One of the features in IRCX is Unicode (multi byte) support (used by Japanese, Chinese, etc languages).

It does this by:
Unicode nicknames being prefixed with ' and UTF8 encoded.
Unicode channel being %# prefixed and the name UTF8 encoded.
Messages send within a %# channel being UTF8 encoded.

mIRC currently detects IRCX support using 005 numeric and upon detection issues the /IRCX command. This is fine but it’s too late if trying to sign-on using a Unicode nickname because /IRCX needs to be issued before attempting to use the nickname otherwise an error will be returned.

This doesn’t only affect IRCXpro, but also users connecting to a ‘Microsoft Exchange Chat’ (ECS) server.

The issue your Taiwanese customer appears to be having is as follows:
He cannot sign-on using a Unicode nickname on IRCX servers
The nickname field could benefit from being a multi-byte edit box
There’s no option to UTF8 encode the nickname specified in the nickname field

These relatively easy fixes will benefit the East Asian users of your mIRC product and may encourage growth in a non-English market.

I understand mIRC was written around the RFC1459 protocol but obviously it has already incorporated some IRCX support in respect towards detecting IRCX, /LISTX and Channel Owners. With UTF8 support recently added to mIRC, it’s so easily to add the remaining Unicode support (defined by IRCX).

This will be my last reply on this issue (/ feature request). It’s up to you guys but if you do decide to go ahead and add it, I’ll be happy to offer assistance.

#157566 29/08/06 10:09 AM
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
The suggestion to check for the ' at the start of the nick seems fair and yet simple, it would be done via script probably anyway, but perhaps an option to turn it on / off off by default in case it causes problems?
Surely it would be no biggie.

#157567 30/08/06 09:04 AM
X
x64 Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
X
I swear to god, if I hear one more person talk about RFC1459, i'm going to find them and slap them upside the head.

Have you ever tried reading RFC1459? It's over 13 years old, and almost nothing in it applies today. Furthermore, he was talking about *IRCX*, not *IRC*. mIRC supports both.

#157568 30/08/06 12:45 PM
I
Babel fish
Babel fish
I
spymaster is talking about setting mirc to IRCX before you are connected , not after you are on the server

#157569 30/08/06 01:05 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks I will look into this for the next version.

#157570 09/09/06 01:32 AM
I
Babel fish
Babel fish
I
if you are going to look in to letting mirc be set to ircx , could it be posible adjust the dialog that pop's up when you dubbleclick the channelscreen , make posible to be more ircx.
i mean so you can use it to add /remove owners/hosts/voice/grand,except,deny in the access and a bit more modes aswell ?

#157571 28/11/06 04:25 PM
I
Babel fish
Babel fish
I
"Thanks I will look into this for the next version."

not posible in 6.21 yet frown

Last edited by ik000ike; 28/11/06 04:26 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard