mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
O
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
O
Hi my second post already and another problem i have with connecting to a few servers frown
When i start-up mIRC and i press alt+o i get to the setup off mIRC and select local info
There are a few options i can setup but don't understand exactly what they do frown
local host and ip are automaticly filled but when i connect i alwasy see my ip instead of localhost name why is that?
I have marked on connect always get localhost and ip address is auto marked as well.

The lookup method i don't understand to now it's set to normal but when i changed it to server some times it just won't connect?

Friends of my have same provider but when i check there userstats i see local host name instead of ip another friend of mine has same problems also.

Why do some users on same provider have local host name and some have ip? and how can i set it to local host name?

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
The "Normal Lookup Method" means that mIRC will find out your what's your IP address (and hostname) through your operating system. This means that you'll acquire the IP address known by your computer. If you're behind a NAT (or using a router), this is usually a bad idea, since the IP address seen by your computer won't match the IP address that other computers on the Internet (for example, an IRC server) are seeing you with when you communicate with them.

The "Server Lookup Method" means that mIRC will find out what's your IP address through the IRC server. Immediately after mIRC logs in to the IRC server, it'll send a command (USERHOST <your nickname>) as a way of asking the server what's your IP address (or hostname and then proceed to do a DNS lookup). This way, mIRC will acquire the IP address that other computers on the Internet are seeing you with.

Sometimes, even if you check both "Local Host" and "IP Address" for the "On connect, always get:" option, you'll only get your IP address (with an "unknown" host). This means that your IP address does not "translate" to a hostname with your DNS server. When this happens, you might also get a reply like "-server.network.org- *** Couldn't look up your hostname" when connecting; but, on rare occasions or if you have altered your hosts file, you will be able to see your hostname while the IRC server won't, and viceversa.

Also, it's impractical to get only your hostname, and this is why mIRC automatically checks "IP Address" in the "On connect, always get:" when you check "Local Host". Sometimes, while you are able to get a hostname through a DNS server, it's impossible to get back your IP address with that hostname through the same DNS server, which means that the hostname is an unreliable way of identifying you on the IRC network.

Link Copied to Clipboard