mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Aenei Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
I am trying to find within mIRC some kind of identifier to tell me what the nick format is, ie usually it is <nick>. Can anyone help me out?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't think there is, as the format is different for normal text, action text or notice
Each has its distinct format and isn't Internally modified like the timestamp, you Can use scripting to halt the default text string and replace the <nick> in on text and on input events. However I dont think mIRC has an identifier to test if you have scripted it.

A
Aenei Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
So will the format, (unless its been changed by some kind of MTS of course) always be < > enclosing the nick? At the moment all I want to do is detect nicks in pasted text, so if they will be of the form <nick> then that makes life much simpler.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
no,
/me says: /me
* Aenei says: /me

/describe #channel says Action text doesn't have <>
* Aenei says Action text doesn't have <>

/say say Normal text
<Aenei> say Normal text

in either case if you have a "on text" for the word "*say*" it will trigger whether it was action text or normal text.

notices are slightly different depending on if you are the sender or the receiver
/notice mikechat I say this is a notice
-> -mikechat- I say this is a notice
-MikeChat- I say this is a notice

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
If you are trying to detect the nick portion of someone else's text, you can't be sure of what format their nicknames will be. mIRC uses <nick>, which can't be changed with a mIRC setting, however, the default display can be halted and replaced with a custom one. Different people may have different scripts, and will, therefore, have different formats. Also, other IRC clients (XChat, Chatzilla, etc) may have different formats.

-genius_at_work

A
Aenei Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
Quote:
mIRC uses <nick>, which can't be changed with a mIRC setting, however, the default display can be halted and replaced with a custom one.

Yup this is what I was after. I am well aware that normal text, action text and notice text are presented differently in mIRC.

Sorry I wasn't terribly clear with what I wanted. I basically want to know if and how I can get the format in which mIRC would be presenting a text event although MikeChat your post has led me to consider that it would be helpful if I could get the formats for the action and notice events too. mIRC standard is I believe:

TEXT: $timestampfmt <$nick> $1-
ACTION: $timestampfmt * $nick $1-
NOTICE (CHAN): $timestampfmt -$nick:$chan- $1-
NOTICE (PRIV): $timestampfmt -$nick- $1-

and I correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the < > for the text, the asterisk for the action, and the hyphens/colon for notice can't be changed with a mirc setting.

Is it possible to get from a theme (which I guess aside from a direct script to halt and custom replace is the only way to change the mIRC output format) what the output format is going to be?

Last edited by Aenei; 24/12/05 07:00 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard