mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
F
I am unable to recieve a DCC send after accepting the send, with the error "connection failed". This is a new development in the past two days.

Of the several attempts at sending me files over these past two days, only one attempt has worked. Of all the failed attempts, the people I am getting files from are fine sending files to others. The other computer on my network also suffers from this. The one time it has worked, it was a file sent from a friend's computer less than a block away from me and he's got the same DSL service as I do (Verizon).

It seems I can still DCC send files to others, as long as it's not to the other computer on my network. This goes for both computers.

I can't say if this would affect my connection or not, but I am planning to change DSL services soon. Either tomorrow or the next day, my DSL service will be cut while I transition to a faster connection. They never said anything about disruptions in service until then, but I can't help that maybe they forgot about that part. I am hoping this is the case and I am getting fustraited over nothing!

I have followed all the guides I could find on this website, but nothing has helped so far. I'm using a Linksys BEFSR81 v3 router with all the appropriate ports forwarded. I am also using ZoneAlarm for both computers, which has never interfered with IRC/DCC before. My OS is Windows 2k pro, the OS on the other computer is Windows XP (with the xp firewall disabled). My ISP is Verizon DSL.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Maybe ZoneAlarm updated and changed its settings. Try disabling it for a minute and get something from someone.

Also, make sure that your mIRC settings didn't get changed to ignore certain file types or to ignore all but trusted nicks or something like that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
O
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
O
i'm having that same problem. i'm unable to connect to anyone yet before i could. is there any way to fix this?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
Try disabling it for a minute and get something from someone.

Dont quote me, but i believe zone alarm disabled DOESNT disable zone alarm, pretty bizzare i know but at least the last time i encountered it i had to completely restart the machine after disabling it.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
One method of seeing if its your service provider or not is to do a dcc in house, from one internal Ip to the Other,
u can normally set the IP of the sender to its LAN ip by using /LOCALINFO -h
then send from it to the other pc, using a standard dcc send (obviously they both needed to be connected to a irc server)
If this sends fine, then the problem is either in your router or your ISP, since the recieving pc well get the IP of your sending machine as lets say 192.168.0.1 and its 192.168.0.2 and thus wont need to go out of your lan to connect to it.

PS: I doubt your ISP has somehow blocked you from recieving files, some of them may well try and block u from sending them (or at least make it more difficult to sort it out)

One other thing is worth doing on both machines do a /DEBUG @debug
(dont be in channels when do this as it lists all traffic you send and get)
Then when one does a send you well see a message like....
-> crazy.criten.net NOTICE RecieverNick laughCC Send filename (1.2.3.4)
-> crazy.criten.net PRIVMSG RecieverNick :DCC SEND filename 16909060 5062 467261

and the one the does the get well see....
<- :SenderNick!~SenderID@1.2.3.4 NOTICE RecieverNick laughCC Send filename (1.2.3.4)
<- :SenderNick!~SenderID@1.2.3.4 PRIVMSG RecieverNick :DCC SEND filename 16909060 5062 467261

16909060 is a long ip for 1.2.3.4 so well match the ip used of the sender WAN or LAN instead of this number shown
5062 is a port number used to send the file, so well match your settings
467261 is the file size, so well match the file size

The one to look for is if a PORT value has changed between the send and the get ends, this normally means a Router is using some type of NAPT (network address port translation) settings in the NAP/Forwarding tables. This I however have never seen stoping you recieving files.

O
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
O
disabling it and enabling it after didn't seem to work. i'm not using a router but when i was getting a file on LAN, the send stopped and after that happened i'm unable to connect to anyone now the connection fails like 20secs after the get screen comes up.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
It seems I can still DCC send files to others, as long as it's not to the other computer on my network. This goes for both computers.

Quote:
i'm not using a router

Those two statements seem a little contdictory.

How did the pc's manage to send files (when it was working) if there is no router forwarding ports back to them, when the reciever intis the p2p connection?

T
T
here's my debug:

-> irc.inet.tele.dk NOTICE T1modem laughCC Send CoverXP_1_65.rar (192.168.0.15)
-> irc.inet.tele.dk PRIVMSG T1modem :DCC SEND CoverXP_1_65.rar 3232235535 54000 3549302
<- :T1modem!~none@66.28.244.138 NOTICE T1modem laughCC Send CoverXP_1_65.rar (172.27.2.211)
<- :T1modem!~none@66.28.244.138 PRIVMSG T1modem :DCC SEND CoverXP_1_65.rar 2887451347 54000 3549302

My IP's are different from the send. In this scenario, i'm just sending a file to myself.... but it's also the same if I send over the irc server to someone else. it seems as if there's always an IP mismatch, whether it's my lan ip (192...) or my WAN ip (172...) or my external ip (66...). How do I get around this so my IPs match and i can finally send on mirc?

F
OP Offline
F
Sorry it took so long to get back, but now I'm here and what DaveC reccomended seems to work, but not quite the way described.

I tried the /localinfo -h and it came up with the IP of my router. After that, tried to send a file to the other machine, didn't work.

I brought up the /debug @debug window, attempted to send a file... and it sent the file. No problem.

This was in the debug window on my end:
-> vaxon.sorcery.net NOTICE Lothire laughCC Send Metallica - Master Of Puppets.mp3 (192.168.2.100)
-> vaxon.sorcery.net PRIVMSG Lothire :DCC SEND Metallica_-_Master_Of_Puppets.mp3 3232236132 1024 10321628

This was in the debug window on the other machine:
<- :Freakazoid!newmachine@89c22bda.sttlwa.dsl-w.36f5c1fe.net.hmsk NOTICE Lothire laughCC Send Metallica - Master Of Puppets.mp3 (192.168.2.100)
<- :Freakazoid!newmachine@89c22bda.sttlwa.dsl-w.36f5c1fe.net.hmsk PRIVMSG Lothire :DCC SEND Metallica_-_Master_Of_Puppets.mp3 3232236132 1024 10321628

Looks like it took care of my network shareing.

I got a friend from the internet to send me a file, just to be sure I can recieve that way.

This is what I got on my end:
<- :Neph!neph@5ea197bc.wp.5eb2c41d.net.hmsk NOTICE Freakazoid laughCC Send Symphony X - 02 - The Raging Season.mp3 (24.77.112.138)
<- :Neph!neph@5ea197bc.wp.5eb2c41d.net.hmsk PRIVMSG Freakazoid :DCC SEND Symphony_X_-_02_-_The_Raging_Season.mp3 407728266 1024 7778270

I guess whatever that did got my machines working again. Thanks for the advice! But what exactly did I do? I'm worried none of this will work again tomorrow or some such nonsense (had that happen with my new internet connection, but got that fixed by deleting all that verizon software that came with it smile).

Link Copied to Clipboard