Print Thread
#121881 03/06/05 01:37 AM
V
vigge Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
V
Since the DCC-RFC states nothing about sending an empty message once every fifth minute, I can't do anything else than classify this as a bug.

mIRC might be coded so it will ignore these messages, but every other IRC-client (those who actually follows standards) will display the empty line and hilight you, and it's quite frankly starting to annoy me.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Mirc recieves these messages just like every other client connected would, its the right and privilage of the developer of those clients to do what they like with that data people like it they use the client they dont and they dont. The standards are what is and is not a legal message format, not what you have to do with it. Mircs choice is to by defualt ignore it as its an incomplete message since its empty, not really what a "message" is if there is no message eh!!!

Anyway, if you want it to do something else, then code mirc to do it (or ask someone to do it for ya)

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
Since the DCC-RFC states nothing about sending an empty message once every fifth minute, I can't do anything else than classify this as a bug.

That really depends how you choose to interpret it:

Quote:
DCC allows the user to overcome some limitations
of the IRC server network and to have the ultimate in secure
chat connections while still in an IRC oriented protocol.

And the IRC RFC states empty messages are silently ignored.

What would annoy me more would be the client that does no keep-alive checks on DCC connections, so when I go to message someone in a DCC window I find they've long disconnected. frown

V
vigge Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
V
But DCC is not the same protocol as IRC now, is it? smile

And DaveC, seriously, it took me maybe five times the normal time to understand what you wrote. Try to structure the sentences and read it once before posting.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Correct, but I think they are designed with the same functionality in mind, and each to compliment the other. Also, nowhere in the 'standard' does it explicitly require or recommend the IRC client display a message with a length of 0 bytes (and it doesn't seem logical to do so, how much 'message' can you fit into 0 bytes?).

Anyway, it's obviously a minor (albeit annoying) incompatability, but as it serves a very useful purpose in mIRC (ensuring dead connections are quickly detected), why not ask the developers of those standard-following clients to add an option to ignore 0-byte messages?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
it took me maybe five times the normal time to understand what you wrote

But is that really my fault or is it yours?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Quote:

But is that really my fault or is it yours?

Yours.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
I have to admit that it took me a couple of minutes to parse this bit:

Quote:
Mirc recieves these messages just like every other client connected would, its the right and privilage of the developer of those clients to do what they like with that data people like it they use the client they dont and they dont.

I found that if I split that sentence into 4 seperate ones and add a couple of commas, it suddenly makes sense:

Quote:
Mirc recieves these messages just like every other client connected would. It's the right and privilage of the developer of those clients to do what they like with that data. People like it, they use the client. They don't, and they don't.

Now I know how mIRC feels about if statements that don't use ()'s.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Hrung
Quote:
I found that if I split that sentence into 4 seperate ones and add a couple of commas, it suddenly makes sense:

You must find it hard to deal with the spoken word then. Just cause I leave outa a comma or fullstop you loose all meanings.

Oh and dont be saying spoken word uses tones etc, its apparently been shown that the brain clearly can punctuate continuous speech, Discovery channel i beleive was were it was on.

Anyway, I notice none of ya had anything to say on the content, so I guess you can consider it spam or flaming. Either way im cry on the inside, no honest i am smile

Argvo
Quote:
yours

Cool as long as it wasnt "my fault".

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Allcuaty tehy fnoud out taht povriedd the lsat letetr and the frist leettr of ecah wrod are in the rghit palce, any wrod is raaedble in the Eglsnih lgaganue smirk

But seriously, let's stop this, it's got nothing to do with the bug report smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
haha that's pretty good, I read it perfectly first time.

~ Edit ~
Code:
alias scramble {
  while ($1 != $null) {
    if ($len($1) < 4) var %s = %s $1
    else {
      var %a = 0
      :a
      var %l = $left($1,1),%r = $right($1,1),%i = 2,%t
      while (%i != $len($1)) {
        var %t = $instok(%t,$mid($1,%i,1),$rand(1,$len(%t)),32)
        inc %i
      }
      var %t = $+(%l,$remove(%t,$chr(32)),%r)
      if ((%t == $1) && (%a < 3)) {
        inc %a
        goto a
      }
      var %s = %s %t
    }
    tokenize 32 $2-
  }
  echo -a Scramble: %s
}

/scramble Actually they found out that provided the last letter and the first letter of each word are in the right place any word is readable in the english language

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 04/06/05 06:20 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Quote:
Cool as long as it wasnt "my fault".

Actually, it was your fault, but I guess your reading skills are just as inept as your nonexistent grammar and writing skills. Or maybe you were just unsuccessfully trying to be witty...

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
V
vigge Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
V
Quote:
Correct, but I think they are designed with the same functionality in mind, and each to compliment the other. Also, nowhere in the 'standard' does it explicitly require or recommend the IRC client display a message with a length of 0 bytes (and it doesn't seem logical to do so, how much 'message' can you fit into 0 bytes?).

Anyway, it's obviously a minor (albeit annoying) incompatability, but as it serves a very useful purpose in mIRC (ensuring dead connections are quickly detected), why not ask the developers of those standard-following clients to add an option to ignore 0-byte messages?

Sorry to bring this old post up again, but anyway, the point is that it's not sending 0 byte-messages, it's sending 1-2 byte-messages! Or are you unaware of the simple fact that '\n' and/or '\r' actually could be a part of a message?
When you chat, I got the opinion that what you say actually should appear on the other users screen, especially when using DCC since I(and many, many others) only uses it to paste logs, sourcecode and such things.

I also think that you should be able to apply the same standard from DCC SEND to DCC CHAT, and I presume you don't want all your blank rows erased when sending files over DCC, right?

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
Or are you unaware of the simple fact that '\n' and/or '\r' actually could be a part of a message?

So what of the 'message' between the CR and the LF from a windows system? If pasting a file into DCC chat this will result in additional unintended lines. Heres the entire sentence from the quote I pasted before:

Quote:
Empty messages are silently ignored, which permits use of the sequence CR-LF between messages without extra problems.

DCC send is not 'line-by-line' at all and would display the file as intended, so why not use this to share source/logs if the line spacing is really important? smile

Link Copied to Clipboard