#11303 15/02/03 05:34 PM
T
thetoll Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Hi,

We have a client who the government says was on MIRC in software rooms etc and they have said "We have used MIRC (or mIRC) to access or create log files which showed that your client showed "interest" to MIRC rooms"

Is this a feature on the program?
Or is this something by default that is in the harddrive?
I was thinking that they looked in free space for things.

Any help is appreciated.

#11304 15/02/03 05:37 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Chat logging in mIRC just records your chat sessions in text files. It doesn't give nosey governments anything unless they hack you and take it of their own free will. grin

#11305 15/02/03 05:41 PM
T
thetoll Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Can you tell me a directory that this is stored in? is this an optional feature which can be turned on and off?

I believe their claim to be false in nature, however I also understand free space and if there was a chat log that the user tried to delete it would appear in the free space.

Thanks again for the help.

#11306 15/02/03 05:48 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C:\mIRC\Logs usually.

And if you delete a log from there it would normally go to the recycle bin first, so there's a chance of getting the file back unless the recycle bin has been emptied.

#11307 15/02/03 05:48 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC Options (Alt+O) -> IRC -> Logging

All the options to do with mIRC's logging feature are there. Type /help Logging.

#11308 15/02/03 05:59 PM
T
thetoll Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks

We deal in computer forensics so our main interest was in where the logs would be stored at, if they are always on or an option that is turned on, and are there multiple logs kept i.e. if you are on 3 or 4 channels how does it tell the difference or does it keep 3 or 4 logs.

#11309 15/02/03 07:09 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
mIRC's options allow you to choose to log all channels and/or chats, none, or only those you choose.
You can:
-date them by day/week/month
- include the network name
- timestamp or not
-choose to have seperate folders for each network
- specify what folder/directory you want the logs to go (generally they are within the main mIRC folder).
-can log each channels, dcc chats, message/queries as well as status windows.

Some ppl choose to have all msgs/queries go to one window, altho most have a sep one for each person they are in private msg with so each person would have a log. Each channel has its own log. (assuming you have chosen to log)
You can opt to set this in mIRC's options, or by typing a command in the window you wish to log, or by setting it in the system menu for each window.

As a side note, it is very easy to create a fake log or edit one to show anything you want it to.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#11310 15/02/03 07:40 PM
T
thetoll Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks again for the help

Para would you be willing to contact me off list to discuss this further. I need to know questions to raise as to how the government arrived at the validity of their findings.

you may reach me at

mynameisd@comcast.net if you have the time. Thanks fo much again to you and everyone who has helped me.

Link Copied to Clipboard