mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
W
Hey guys, I got this wierd problem.

Lets say I'm downloading a 1.4 gig RAR file. It's closing in on 46% percent completion. The bot goes offline. Typical occurrence, no biggy.

So I wait a couple hours for the bot to come back online. I do typical pc stuff to kill time, defrag, restart, surf the web etc.

YES! The bot is back online. So I resume my file. Finally it is completed (1.4 gig, 100%). I go to the file and open it. Then I see something that really pisses me off. The contents of the RAR file are halfway done (.00,.01,.02 etc), yet the file is completed and has the correct size. Wierd.

This has happened to me a few times before. Do you guys know why or how to solve this problem?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
yeah, stop downloading illegal files using mIRC. That should solve your problem.
https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3023&an=0&page=0#3023

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Point out where there was any indication of illegal filesharing. A 1.4GB RAR archive could be absolutely anything, so get off your high horse before you reply to people.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I don't know the specific problem, but mIRC's DCC resume is notorious for being awkward, so it's a pretty good possibility of being the cause. Anyway, DCC is designed for small file transfers, it's very inefficient and since mIRC/DCC isn't designed for large file transfers it can often lead to problems. You're better off using a proper file transfer protocol (ie. FTP) or a peer-to-peer protocol (ie. FastTrack, OpenNap, Gnutella, BitTorrent).

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
even if its not illegal filesharing, its still using the DCC protocol for a wildly unsuitable purpose. Besides, the only free things i know of that are that size are linux distro's, and they are freely available from ftp's.

The point is that when someone abuses something and it goes wrong, they shouldn't moan. The DCC protocol isn't for files that huge.

I'm sure mentality will back me up on this.

And another thing, when was the last time you saw 1.4gb LEGAL files from a bot?

Anyway, since you want a proper answer to the query:

Its caused when the resume goes wrong and messes some bytes up, or they are lost somewhere along the line. Even tho the rar file is 1.4gb, winrar can only read up until the problem bytes, then it ignores the rest. As far as i know there is no way of repairing it without losing data.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
so get off your high horse before you reply to people.

No need to be so rude.

Quote:
mentality will back me up on this

Mentality will say that unless illegal file sharing is made quite clear, both types of answers are acceptable. I can see why someone would EASILY think that the original poster may be downloading warez, but I can also see that others wish to give them the benefit of doubt. If people say "I want to download this 1GB movie with my mirc, how can I do it?" then that is a different matter. In this case, I think it's quite clear that there is an indication to illegal file sharing, whether that's the case though is not certain.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Quote:
so get off your high horse before you reply to people.

No need to be so rude.

- My point precisely.

I
I
Hey, yea it is a weird problem..
i dunno why it happens but i believe i have a solution for you.
If you use winrar 3.20 or higher, when you "extract" the files
you'll see a a dialog box(or whatever you call it) with many options..
look for the "miscellaneous" part, and you'll see "Keep broken files" option. Check it. Uncompress the archive. And i hope that helps.

W
OP Offline
W
For some reason the option is not enabled for that specific file. Its there but it cant be selected.

Link Copied to Clipboard