Print Thread
#101692 26/10/04 11:52 PM
L
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
Hi

Every so often i get a pop up window with a message and an ok butotn at the end. The message goes something like you are infected remember this web address before closing the window.

Is this something that a mirc user is spamming me with? ie is mirc capable of spawing dialog boxes with an ok button.

How do i stop this from occurring? I have mirc 6.12. I've recently formatted my harddrive and re installed this application. Previously this wasn't happening.

#101693 26/10/04 11:57 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It is not possible to remotely make a window popup in mIRC via another mIRC client, my guess is you are infected with something. Download, install, update and run several virus/trojan scanners from this thread. If you haven't already, do not go to the website it asks you to remember. If you have, more of a reason to do the former suggestion.

If nothing is found, it may be an mIRC Script that, to an antivirus, seems harmless. See if the messages stop if you type /!remote off. Also, press ALT+R and use the 'Find Text' button to look for possible code that could be causing the error (i.e. search for the text inside the dialog that pops up).

If all else fails, try reinstalling mIRC completely. But do make sure you use more than 1-2 virus scanners, no ONE can detect everything. You may also consider running the #Nohack script (link in that thread) to see if you have some of the 'mIRC viruses' that get spread around. You should always be using the latest version of mIRC, always available at www.mirc.com/get.html smile

G'luck!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#101694 27/10/04 12:32 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
It actually doesn't sound like it's coming from mIRC. Are you using Windows XP? If so make sure that you have disabled Windows Messenger from loading on start up. Try this and see if it makes a difference.

Open Control Panel
Select Administrative Tools
Then select Services
Locate Messenger in the list on the right and double click on it.
Press Stop and change the start up type to disabled.

Note: this will not effect MSN Messenger in any way.

#101695 27/10/04 12:52 AM
L
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
I'm running Windows 2000 SP4, i've run Ad-Aware and McAfee virus scanner on the pc twice and both didnt detect anything.

Thankfully i've not gone to those sites.
I've searched for the url in the registry and not found anything.

I'll try the other alternatives and see....

#101696 27/10/04 06:00 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
thats a new type of spam, it's a message sent to you true your IP address.. but if you follow Seifer's advice the problem should be solved..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }

Link Copied to Clipboard